Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 16-11-2011 , 11:08 PM

TV material?

I am working on a piece for my portfolio, and wanted to get a broad opinion.

One of the pieces in the scene is a TV.

I'm kind of scratching my head on what kind of material to use for the glass part. It will be shown as a static (snow), so the colors won't matter. The TV is old school curved glass style.

I'm currently using a Blinn with slight reflection. However, after looking around, I am wondering if a Fresnel surface will look better? If I use that, will it be better to use a Mia_Material_X and turn on the Fresnel reflections?

If I do that method, will it be expensive when it renders?
Or is it moot?

https://deannabono.blogspot.com - My Portfolio Progress. Take a gander. Enjoy!
# 2 15-01-2012 , 12:15 AM
I was also wondering how to create a material for the tv screen. Although I have a LCD. Dont think it matters, but I too would like to know.

A ton of views, but no answers?

# 3 15-01-2012 , 12:41 AM
The Nurb Herd
use mia mat x.
fresnel reflection is the amount of reflection on a surface depending on the viewing angle.
think of a shop window. looking directly at it, you see through it. But, if you are looking at it from the side, you see reflections as if were a mirror.

making a glass shader for a tv screen could be simple or complicated depending on what your needs are.

# 4 15-01-2012 , 03:19 AM
Super Moderator
I do believe most objects hase some degree of fresnel effect, I looked around for a reference table to no avail. If you google "old tv set" you'll notice they're decently reflective, (0.2 reflectivity from a dead on angle could be in the ballpark), I remember making faces my grandparents' set.

P.s
You enjoy uv mapping? Ack!!!!! Lol user added image

- Genny

Last edited by GecT; 15-01-2012 at 03:22 AM.