Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 08-12-2011 , 03:03 AM
Lifetime Member

Paint weights affecting verts EXTREMELY

Hi guys,

Im paint weighting a character for animation...following a tut from here for this. Now I have read elswhere and did what Laurie suggested in the effective joints etc etc as this seemed to fix my verts wildly relocating on the grid when I used the 'replace' portion of the tool. Now I am into the shoulder area and its influence is too much and deforms the mesh quite a bit when I raise the arm...so I went to replace and this happens (see image). What the hell am I doing wrong? The character is one mesh...of which I will split later into segments.....or am I doing that wrong too??? help

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 2 08-12-2011 , 07:37 PM
The thin red line
Is that the new one from Jay..........dave

# 3 08-12-2011 , 09:42 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
LOL dont blame me daverave....

Bullet. This can happen from time to time. To fix: select the verts in question and open the component editor. The verts that are selected will be present under the smooth skins tab and will show their weight value and also the joint they belong to. You can only add values between One and zero on the verts that are skinned and depending on how many joints/areas of shared influence then maya will spread the other values accordingly. Also if you have used the smooth option this can tend to mess the values around a bit too causing this little problem. Ive had it happen in the past. The component editor is your friend so use that too to fine tune the skin weights.

Also dont forget to use mirror skin weights, you can mirror right to left and vice versa so you may want to use that too...thats a good fix to start over too.

On my tute with the Alien I mentioned to use Add most of the time. Which is what I was taught by an Alias wavefront guy back in the day and the rule still applies pretty much today. I use replace sparingly as it can go awol on you too. But keep the values low on the opacity and on the actual point values and build it all up.

Skinning a character is not a fast process if you want to do it right. So take your time.

If I can help anymore I will

Jay

# 4 08-12-2011 , 09:58 PM
The thin red line
Would I do thatuser added image, I think I was hinting to look at yours................dave

# 5 08-12-2011 , 10:53 PM
Lifetime Member
LOL no dave its my own.

Thanks heaps Jay...I figured it might have something to do with influences and joints. Im actually using Kurts rigging tut as I havent the broadband allowance to download the alien until I get back home from the bush. I will be grabbing it as soon as I can. I did try the mirror but I did something wrong...will try again. I will remember the component editor now LOL...thanks again mate, and yes it is a LONG and painful process...but thats just part of the fun.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 6 15-12-2011 , 04:55 AM
Lifetime Member
Hey Jay...Im still having trouble but Im getting there....now the mirror weights...I have looked at a tut and googled..tried to follow but nothing seems to happen?? I righ MB on the area Im working on...select affected verts...then up to menu and mirror. However...when I click on the opposing part (ie right arm) NOTHING appears to have changed...its the default weight...have I missed something?

cheers bullet

bullet1968