Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 14-12-2011 , 08:06 AM

perspective orthographic viewport "snapping" keyboard shortcut

Hey guys,

Just started out with Maya, looking in the documentation and i cant find it, sort of just starting out to bind shortcuts and get a grip on maneuvering the interface looking for some options to make it all streamlined and comfortable.

Going to try to explain this... in the perspective viewport, what im trying to do is to have the persp viewport snap to the closest orthographic view so the model gets aligned, i can click that icon in top right corner and the view gets aligned, like Front, Side, Top, Bottom... Is there a shortcut or command i can set up to a key so that i don't have to move the mouse to that icon and click it for the perspective to get aligned to the closest orthographic viewpoint?

hope u understand the question... i want to have a keyboard shortcut to it, rather than clicking that icon with the mouse...

Maybe there is a command to cycle orthographic views in the perspective viewport?

Also, is that viewport icon not supposed to be there in Viewport 2.0 mode?
thanks

Last edited by swk; 14-12-2011 at 08:38 AM.
# 2 14-12-2011 , 08:47 AM
The thin red line
I would not start changing the setting yet as there are some easy ways to get to another view, hold the space bar down and the left hand mouse button down will give you the options to what view, sellect the item then press "f" will frame the item...........dave

# 3 14-12-2011 , 10:57 AM
i dont want to go out of perspective view dave... i basically want the action of clicking the 3d cube's sides and just align the camera up to an orthographic viewpoint... like Bottom View, Top View, Side Wide in perspective mode.

Last edited by swk; 14-12-2011 at 11:57 AM.
# 4 14-12-2011 , 02:35 PM
Technical Director
You can bind the MEL command to switch views to shelf buttons, but you can't easily override the viewcube. Also, with viewport 2.0; you should be using it for modeling. It's for preview for games, not general working.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 15-12-2011 , 07:29 AM
could u explain? im really new with this, i have read up on other people having to customize it and just getting into this whole mel thing. found some scripts with switchModelView, but thats basically doing the same thing as Space+ mouse flicks which im not looking for. i dont want the perspective view to be locked...

can i find the command for that viewcube?
its moving the camera and zooming out of view, im thinking if i found the command i could set up a script from it and bind hotkeys to it?

i think i want a script that sets camera position around the selection?

Last edited by swk; 15-12-2011 at 08:02 AM.
# 6 15-12-2011 , 08:56 AM
The thin red line
I did have a look on the net for you but could not find any thing, The viewcube on a scale of 1 to 10 of usefullness I would put at a 2 the reason is the distortion that the persp camera has, say I am work in wire mode and select some verts front and back I can easly miss some of the back verts better to use the side panel view........................dave

# 7 15-12-2011 , 10:15 AM
lets say i want a camera position of 0, 180, 0 (Rotational) and 0, 3, -18 (Translate), is there such a command?

Last edited by swk; 15-12-2011 at 10:21 AM.
# 8 15-12-2011 , 06:16 PM
Technical Director

lets say i want a camera position of 0, 180, 0 (Rotational) and 0, 3, -18 (Translate), is there such a command?

Sure there is. But it's faster to click the space bar twice user added image

If you want to get a grip on the interface, learn how to use it; not change it user added image

# 9 15-12-2011 , 09:02 PM
good way for me to learn the interface if you give me the command Next

# 10 15-12-2011 , 09:04 PM
Technical Director

good way for me to learn the interface if you give me the command Next

Just so you know, being rude is not a good way to get someone to do something for you.

# 11 15-12-2011 , 09:42 PM
bad vibe on this site, thanks and good bye

# 12 16-12-2011 , 08:22 AM
Technical Director
I'm sorry that you feel that way; as this is probably the nicest 3d forum out there. I only wished to tell you that what you're asking for would only hurt you in the long run.