Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 16-12-2011 , 05:09 PM
The thin red line

Tank tread

Hi all
At the moment I will have 3 texture for my tank.
1:main body and all the trimmings
2:small bit of glass for the lights
3:Machine gun (will prob use for other models so make sence to have its own)
Now we come to the track I have a few options one I put in with the main tank or two leave all 140 overlapping in uv space size say 512 with say a number of different shaders to add variaty........any thoughts.........dave

# 2 16-12-2011 , 11:14 PM
Subscriber
i'm not 100% what you're asking, but I think I may have an idea.

I wanted my treads not to look "cloned" when I textured them.

I selected ALL my treads. Auto-UV'd them. which made all the 100 different tread tiles stack on top of each other. But all the UV's of each tread were identical. and Identically stacked upon each other. <hope that is clear>

I sorted out my UV's of how I wanted them to lineup

Then I selected the tread tile I was starting at and grabbed the UV's and moved it down. Then selected the next tread tile and moved it down lined it up. and did that.. basically 100 times which was rather monotonous but, that's what I did.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 16-12-2011 , 11:15 PM
Subscriber
Oh yeah. I also had multiple texture files for my tank.

1: body/turret etc
2: wheels/suspension
3: tread

each in a layer to be able to easily select them

# 4 16-12-2011 , 11:53 PM
The thin red line
Thanks for replying Ataraxy
I know how you have done it your way(and my way also for the one to be add to the tank UV) what I was asking if I could say do it so all the UVs share the same space (all 140 laying on top of each other) then assign say 7 different shaders for varation, not sure I am making sence............dave

# 5 17-12-2011 , 04:13 AM
Lifetime Member
cant you just make 7 units in the UV space dave, tetxure, then transfer attributes to the others?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 6 17-12-2011 , 02:47 PM
The thin red line
I know what you are saying Bullet but that might create a patton also, buy using shaders I should be able to change quicher if I see a patton forming............dave