Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 19-01-2012 , 01:45 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Combining two shaders into one

I'm not entirely sure if this question makes sense but is there anyway in Maya to combine two shaders into one?
Basically, rather than baking something out (like AO) and then combining it with a painted texture in photoshop I want to do it at render time.

Thanks

# 2 19-01-2012 , 02:13 PM
Lifetime Member
There are two ways to layer textures in Maya: using the Layered Shader with the texture compositing flag or with the Layered Texture Node.
Though the workflow for using the Layered Texture node is similar to the Layered Shader, using the Layered Texture node.
The Layered Shader has an attribute called compositing flag that causes the shader type to layer materials or layer textures. You can use this to layer textures with the Layered Shader node. However, using the Layered Texture node is recommended because you can set many more options.
If you choose the texture option for the compositing flag, you must plug the whole network into a material (for example, Phong or Blinn).

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 19-01-2012 , 04:19 PM
The Nurb Herd
mia_material_x has built in AO.
you can multiply your AO map over your texture before you plug the texture into your shader. just use a multiply node.

# 4 19-01-2012 , 05:22 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
@jsprogg Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I needed. Sometimes I don't know what I'd do with out you. user added image

@honestdom Thanks, I didn't know that, that would have saved me so much time in the past.