Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 06-10-2015 , 05:02 PM

Turning flat shapes into cylinders

Hello All,

I have a flat shape I'm trying to convert into a cylinder. It's a polygonal mesh. Any suggestions?
Trying to convert object on left to snap on right

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 07-10-2015 , 03:24 AM
Lifetime Member
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to achieve? Do you want the flat shape to be aligned to the cylinder as if it was a lid or do you just want to make the flat shape cylindrical?
If you just want to make it cylindrical select the outermost edge of the flat shape and extrude it down.
Otherwise just move, scale and rotate it into position.

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 3 07-10-2015 , 04:25 PM
Thanks,

I'm trying to get the cylinder shape, with the circular protrusions from the left shape. I'm trying to make small wood graining tools. I tried applying the curves to a surface, but couldn't figure out how to extrude them in curb form

# 4 07-10-2015 , 05:23 PM
EduSciVis-er
Oh... I had to google "wood graining tool" in order to understand what you want. Including a picture of the desired result would have helped. You can use a bend deformer (Deform > Non-linear > bend) to bend the flat shape into a curved surface. You need to make sure there is enough resolution (polygons) on it to curve smoothly though.