Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 31 14-04-2012 , 07:33 AM
Lifetime Member

impressive, what was the hardest thing to find out about. I do hope you could do a short tutorial when you have time.................dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you. I will definitely do a tutorial showing everything how things were done.

In short, it runs like this.

1. Install ipi basic version software. You can get the Express or the Standard version. Try the free trial, that allows you to export 5 seconds of animation. The only difference between the basic and standard version is the number of cameras you can setup. Functionality wise they are the same. In basic you can setup 4 cameras max for mocap. Standard lets you setup 6 cameras. But is almost double the price, which I don't think is worth it. I used just 1 Kinect and captured a good motion. I'm looking forward to try with 4 cameras all together. That would allow a bette data capture.

2. Install ipi Recorder (you can download in their website) : https://ipisoft.com/downloads_index.php

3. With the Xbox Kinect plugged in, the Recorder will detect it. Choose Kinect in the dropdown menu as the devise to use for capture. Just make sure the first 2 seconds the recording is filming an empty space. Once the recording button is pressed, walk to your position and stand as T pose.

4. Two seconds in T pose you can start moving around as shown in the video I posted.

5. Once that is done........ walk back and press STOP recording. You will have a new avi file.
This avi file is a special one. You can't open it in Premiere for example. Not sure why.

6. Start ipi DMC (Desktop Motion Capture). Choose Open and the avi file you just created from the ipi Recorder. In the screen you will see the data. Move the ipi dummy character around, increase his height, etc in the Actor tab to more or less fit the background video of you in T pose.

7. Once you are happy with the dummy model, go to Tracking and press fit. Now wait for ipi dmc to process the data. Done.

8. In Maya, prepare your character in T pose and add a HumanIK skeleton.

9. Select the character and the bones, then export it as FBX file.

10. Back in ipi dmc, in the Export tab, press button and import your character fbx file (The one you saved in Maya).

11. You will now see your character side by side with the ipi dmc default dummy character. Or you can choose to have your character on the dummy.

Now, the tricky part and problems I encounter user added image
After importing my cowboy, my character arms, legs, etc didn't move at all. The whole mesh was moving around with the ipi dummy in T pose. After asking around in their forum, I actually had to retarget all the bones. (Will do a screen grab later as I'm teaching a class now. When I get back home later Tonight).

Now, the good new is, you don't have to have all the bones renamed / named to match the ipi dummy.
Since HumanIK bones have their own names, I had Maya opened in one monitor and ipi dmc in my second monitor so I could easily match the bones one by one. The good news? You can retarget everything inside ipi dmc.

They are releasing v.2 this month. I am very impressed with the software and quality too and above all, I only used 1 Kinect to capture my movements and the quality was very impressive. I'm planning to get 4 cameras later.

I will make a video on how to do all this later. But my next and final step is really to try and export the data back into Maya. Had to rush out this morning and didn't have time to continue my testings.
Once I have this step done, I will do a zero to hero video showing all the steps.

Hope all that information helps. Cheers! user added image

Last edited by cgisoul; 14-04-2012 at 09:06 AM.
# 32 14-04-2012 , 06:09 PM
Lifetime Member
Imported the data back into Maya from ipisoft and re-targeted the bones again. This shows the final result. I'm planning to make a video later showing the entire process on how I achieved all this.

After doing the whole workflow, you don't actually need to import your character into ipi soft. That is just for you to pre-visualize. Instead I exported that data from ipi soft dummy (in my findings, this is the only data / bone information you can export anyway) as BVH file and converted into FBX in MotionBuilder.

Then I loaded the character with the HumanIK created previously, create a new Character HIK to apply the new data from ipi dmc, change the source of animation and done! It took me a while to figure it out but it's all done now.

I basically described the whole process here. Let me find sometime and do a video tut showing the whole process with my cowboy. However, I won't be going into weight skinning as this will take forever. It took me really long time to get the right weight skinning and now I have to redo it again because of the new movements. But once you understand the whole process, everything is just plug and play. I'm not sure, but looking back, I think what will take the most time to "fix" will indeed be the weight distribution where you don't want parts of the body go inside and out.

ipi Soft to Maya Final Result - YouTube

Last edited by cgisoul; 14-04-2012 at 06:20 PM.
# 33 15-04-2012 , 08:01 AM
The thin red line
Look farward to the tut, I think you need to pad your self out a bit to resemble your cowboy that should stop some of the mesh collisions, hands and feet are a bit stiff is there any thing you can do to improve this.................dave

# 34 15-04-2012 , 10:30 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your cc. Will definitely improve my acting hahaha. But I will definitely have my cowboy in mind the next time I try mocap. Well... I don't have such belly after all hahaha user added image
Will do that sometime next week for sure. Just my 2 year old can't be around or is just mission impossible user added image
But will do.

# 35 16-04-2012 , 02:49 PM
Lifetime Member
The videos are done. 5 parts. I can't upload them now as my ISP having some problems with the connections. Typing this through my phone.
Will upload them with some description Tomorrow when my internet is back on.
There won't be any sound as my 2 year old Son runs around watching babytv hehe, but I will explain the videos with a summary. user added image

# 36 16-04-2012 , 07:17 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
This project will be a ton of fun if you get to mocap the whole thing! Just don't try too many action-packed fight scenes, you'll end loosing a vase at the least!

Cool stuff.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 37 17-04-2012 , 02:57 AM
Lifetime Member
Definitely lots of fun making this Mayaniac. Not going to abuse on the actions. Something simple...coff coff...

First video uploaded.

Here, I started by creating a HumanIK inside Maya first, so later we can use it with ipi dmc
I removed the sound as there was too much unrelated noise.
This is part 1 out of 5 parts. Hope this helps.

Uploading the rest... more to come.

Maya to ipisoft back to Maya - Part 1 ( Creating HumanIK ) - YouTube