Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 28-04-2012 , 11:20 PM

saving render layers

I'm sure this is such a simple question it's bordering on dumb; so dumb it's not really covered anywhere..

I'm looking at render layers, I've got different geometry on different layers etc. I've set maya to show a final comped version and to keep the individual layers - I've rendered them and are getting an OK result..

now, in every tutorial it jumps to AE or photoshop with the layered image/sequence open. My question is this - 'how do I save out the layers from Maya in an organised manner?' surely I don't have to scrub along to each layer in the render window, click 'save image' and define a name and path... I know there's got to be an easier way than this...

thanks,

j

# 2 01-05-2012 , 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
Usually the final output is never saved from the render view, it's clumsy and the format and bit depth options are limited, other than a quick test, I don't think its the best way to go about it. Instead its batch rendered (Render>Batch Render), if you have Backburner setup then you can create a job for it. In the render settings, you can create layer overrides for many features (simply right click it and the option will appear) and the file name prefix is one of them, you can even customize output directories by adding tokens and slashes.

- Genny
# 3 01-05-2012 , 05:59 PM
thanks. I think the other guys I'm working with have a better handle on this than me anyway -- leave them to it.. ;]

I started looking at this batch render; my other problems include setting up directories, and the fact that there's some left over animation in the scene - I just wanted to render a still. I deleted the keyframes but still ended up with a load of files all over my images folder.

more homework needed on this I think - at least I know batch is the way to go. thanks

# 4 01-05-2012 , 07:12 PM
Super Moderator
Stills or animations, it doesn't matter, it's usually batched out. Sometimes there's pretty much no choice when scenes get heavy and running Maya and Mental Ray gobbles up all the RAM and everything just comes tumbling down. And about your load of images, you probably have it set to render out a range of frames instead of just one, check the common tab in your render settings.

- Genny
# 5 18-05-2012 , 09:19 AM
thanks, but it still makes no sense to me! user added image I'll sort it out thought - I've got a few stills of my own to render out today so I'll try out some of these layers and passes in peace and quiet; it's great working with others but sometimes too many cooks...! user added image