Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 15-05-2012 , 12:58 AM

Inaccurate Selections on Laptop

Hi, I've been having an issue where I click a face or object in Maya and it's acting as if I clicked somewhere else. I tried re-installing Maya several times. The problem still exists when I'm using the laptop's touchpad and when I use my USB mouse. The cursor shows up but when I make a selection, it acts as if the cursor is an inch or so to the left. I'm using Maya 2012 32-bit on a Lenovo 4334 Laptop with Windows 7. Please help if you have any idea what's wrong.

Screenshot:
user added image

Last edited by AlienHook; 15-05-2012 at 02:19 AM.
# 2 15-05-2012 , 01:15 AM
Super Moderator
It could be your preferences. Go to Window>Settings and Preferences and in the selection section, check your click box size, if its too big then you might want to decrease it. Hopefully that's the problem.

- Genny
# 3 15-05-2012 , 02:36 AM
I tried changing the click box size, but it didn't make any difference :/

# 4 15-05-2012 , 03:03 AM
Super Moderator
If you switch out your prefs folder for the default does it change?

- Genny
# 5 15-05-2012 , 03:54 AM

If you switch out your prefs folder for the default does it change?

nope, that was the first thing i tried.

# 6 15-05-2012 , 05:07 AM
Okay, this is another maya 2012ism that I am painfully aware of. I see you have layers, I do not see your outliner but I am assuming you also have groups or parent/child relationships?

It has been a while since I got maya into this mode but as I recall it had something to do with parent child coordinate systems. You'd click on a child objects component and the selection would appear at the parent+child coordinate location.

Do this as a test. Select all the objects in the scene and freeze transforms and delete history or ungroup/unparent everything. Then see if the odd behavior is resolved.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 7 15-05-2012 , 05:48 AM
by the way the bugs in maya 2012 are so annoying and numerous I have taken to recording them so as solutions are found I have a record and also it is cathartic to let my rage bubble over into recorded video rants for all to enjoy!

Is this similar to what you are getting...

bug split polygon offset - YouTube

Unfortunately, when I recorded it I thought closing and opening the scene fixed it. Since then I think I found the problem to involve parenting or grouping and some kind of confusion over the child and then parents coordinate systems. I think deleting history and / or freezing transforms fixes it, but I did not make a note in the folder I recorded the video in as I normally do and it's been a while since I have seen the problem.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 15-05-2012 at 03:32 PM.
# 8 15-05-2012 , 04:50 PM
i just tried deleting history, freezing transformations and ungrouping all the objects in the scene, still hasn't fixed the problem though. something i forgot to point out was that this same exact file and project works just fine on multiple desktop computers i've been using. the only difference between them and my laptop would be that i'm using the free Student Version of Maya on my laptop. maybe that could be the issue?

# 9 15-05-2012 , 08:45 PM
Seriously, if that is the case all I can think of is rename your entire maya folder and try opening that file. If it's still borked then I really don't know what to say other then let me know when you are ready to storm the autodesk offices with your pitch fork and torches I'll bring mine!