Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 27-06-2012 , 03:33 AM

Combining Controller With Motion Path

Hello, I'm new to Maya, and I don't know if this question has already been asked, but I couldn't find it from search, so here goes.

I'm trying to combine keyframe animation with motion path animation. I've already did the motion path exercise in Maya Getting Started, and it all goes well. But when I tried it with my own character, it didn't work, and producing error like this:

// Error: line 0: nurbsCircle1.translateX already has an input connection.

From Googling, I gather that I have controller in my object (correct me if I'm wrong), so Maya is confused which input it should use, the controller or the path?

Or maybe because I did the keyframe animation first, then setting up the motion path (as opposed in the exercise, path first before keyframe)? I don't think that should be an issue, but who knows?

Or maybe I'm just waaay off base from my logic? I'm thinking an animation works like this:

Character with Rigging (bone and controller) >>> Animate some in keyframe >>> animate some in motion path >>> animate some in more keyframe or such

Is this the correct workflow, or is there any other usual workflow?

Thanks

# 2 27-06-2012 , 05:40 AM
Technical Director
The problem is that you already have something driving the translateX attribute. In your case, it's being driven by the motion path. When you try to set a keyframe on it, it doesn't let you, as it would destroy the original connection.

Now, you can get around this easily by grouping the object that's connected to the motion path, then keyframing that group. (You'll need to adjust your pivot-point first however) Essentially, you never want any entries in your channel box to be green, which signifies multiple inputs. Sometimes it allows it, sometimes it doesn't. I'm not too sure what the rule is, as I avoid it if I can.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 05-07-2012 , 05:03 AM
Hey thanks, I did it with locator. Don't know why it didn't work before (maybe because I use bind?), in any case, simply parenting it will do. Thanks.