Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 30-07-2012 , 08:35 PM

Displacement map geometry artifacts

I'm creating a 150 frame animation which includes a ground using displacement mapping. Some frames are how I want but many show strange artifacts.

Below are a small segment (frame 4-7) of the animation where the artifacts are worse. Note frame 4 and 7 are unaffected.

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

I’m rendering in mentalray, FG is off and I’m only using raytracing. The material is a lambert with a displacement map connected. The lighting is 3 point lights.

The problem arises as soon as I add the displacement to the material.

I'm really stumped on this one. Any help will be appreciated!

# 2 30-07-2012 , 08:51 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
could be that you clicked view dependant in th emental ray approx. editor....

# 3 30-07-2012 , 08:52 PM
The thin red line
How did you create the displacement map, could you not get a way with a bump map..............dave

# 4 30-07-2012 , 09:20 PM
I haven't touched the approx. editor for this project. I tried to change the view dependent setting but nothing changes. I made a lambert, gave it a texture and added to the displacement field in the shader group a displacement 'file'.

I just noticed that without using displacement the texture blurs at some frames.

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

Has this something to do with the camera?

# 5 30-07-2012 , 09:58 PM
Ok, I found out that 'Shake' option for the camera was causing the issue. The displacement mapping doesn't have artifacts anymore. However I'm not sure why the shake option would do this.

# 6 31-07-2012 , 08:23 AM
wow I guess it's because I am getting old and my eye sight is not what it used to be but I cannot see any difference in the first four frames you posted 4-7

and then the next four frames are so dark I cannot make out any details in them.

It sounds like you have it figured out though so good on you.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 7 31-07-2012 , 09:12 AM
If you save the linked images and flip through them on an image viewing application the difference is quite clear.

The camera shake was the last thing I suspected would be the problem. I used an expression instead to do the camera shake but the results aren't as good. I would still like to able to use 'shake' for this project but I noticed it was the cause of artifacts and texture warping in another project too. Please help if someone knows how to fix this.

# 8 31-07-2012 , 11:41 AM
yeah I had to download them and use acdsee

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675