Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 22-10-2012 , 02:26 AM

edge extrusion method for modelling a head.

Hello!

I'm watching this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...&v=8uztUoHVsJk

He is using the extrusion method for modelling his head. This seems like a very simple, easy and clean way to model a head. (Without getting to many faces and vertexes all at once) But I was wondering, is this a good way to do it? Or is their better ways? If so, can anyone suggest some to me?

I was thinking of modelling a basic head with this to then use and change it to suit the character.
Anyone have any opinions on this?

Lastly, what does he mean by "soften my normals", is that just smooth mode?

Thanks,

Keflyn.

Last edited by Keflyn; 22-10-2012 at 04:46 AM.
# 2 22-10-2012 , 08:51 AM
The thin red line
I model some thing simular but it does not matter how you model its the end result is, box modelling or extruding edges at the end you are going to need to have good edge flow and a clean mesh (not ngons and no tri`s if you can). Soften norms is under normals in the polygon menu, this would be used when you are not smoothing(3 button or adding mesh smooth) the mesh but want smoother there is also a option to harden a edge, I think there is a little tutorial by ctbram in the free friday tut.............dave