Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 14-11-2012 , 11:05 PM

Rendering is black?

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to Maya.

I screwed up with hypershading, and have to mass delete a LOT of pasted blinns and colours I never knew I had.

On doing so, I've created the following problem, where colours wont light up, however uncolours default lamberts will.

Any help?

Thanks guys

user added image

# 2 14-11-2012 , 11:20 PM
Technical Director
Why are you using the high quality viewport? It's old, and doesn't work very well. Viewport 2.0 has bugs too. Turn it off, and you'll more than likely see your problems go away.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 14-11-2012 , 11:33 PM
No it hasn't, its exactly the same when rendered, that's why I combined light + viewport on for ease.

It's something to do with something I deleted in hypershade.

# 4 14-11-2012 , 11:46 PM
Super Moderator
High quality mode is just awful, more trouble than its worth. Is it looking bad in standard mode too? Could be that you deleted shading groups.

- Genny
# 5 15-11-2012 , 12:12 AM
Its fine when I'm looking at it unrendered.

Its only when I render it, or when I add high quality on (to test if the light source i put in makes any effect - which it only lights default lambert1)

# 6 15-11-2012 , 12:44 AM
Super Moderator
Is it possible to post the scene?

- Genny
# 7 15-11-2012 , 01:44 AM
The colours that are lit are the new colours that ive created (colouring the old ones are too much of a pain to redo)

user added image

user added image

EDIT: When I paste the house + materials into a new scene, it works fine.
EDIT2: It also mentions something about template UI in an error message bottom right of screen

Last edited by iopsis; 15-11-2012 at 02:52 AM.
# 8 16-11-2012 , 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
I can't even see the image clearly enough to read the warning. When I said "scene" I meant the actual scene file, even if you get rid of all but one piece of problem geometry.

- Genny
# 9 16-11-2012 , 07:54 PM

I screwed up with hypershading, and have to mass delete a LOT of pasted blinns and colours I never knew I had.

Hey I just met you, and this is crazy, but those missing shaders, deleted them maybe?

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 10 16-11-2012 , 10:26 PM
EduSciVis-er
Instead of deleting things you think you don't need manually, try doing Edit > Delete Unused Nodes in the hypergraph.