Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 21-11-2012 , 10:54 PM
The thin red line
The demond in me says auto map.....LOL.............dave

# 17 21-11-2012 , 11:02 PM

Automapping I would throw out the window right away, its not teaching you anything, except to press a button and hope for the best and then pick fiddle and fart about

uh oh! If randomly pressing buttons and hoping for the best is not a valid modeling strategy I am in big trouble Jay!user added image

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 18 21-11-2012 , 11:17 PM
Lifetime Member
LOL I auto mapped then edited them all Jay. Sometimes its more painful than help the old Auto, you have to pick the right mapper.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 19 22-11-2012 , 04:46 AM
Technical Director

Er I believe I have copyright on this saying John, get your own slogan user added image

My people will contact your people.

Automapping I would throw out the window right away, its not teaching you anything, except to press a button and hope for the best and then pick fiddle and fart about

*ahem*

... Automatic mapping will get you started.

user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 20 22-11-2012 , 11:49 AM
I've got to agree, I use auto mapping as a starting point a lot, even with very complex/organic shapes. You can then start to stitch the edges of different patches, smoothing and relaxing the mesh as you go.

# 21 22-11-2012 , 07:21 PM
Subscriber
@Jay,
Thank you for your suggestion. I see that there is a kind of philosophy behind UV mapping. The ones need them as a daily challenge, the others are doing this while this step is just needed! And I'm in the middle trying to understand, why this is so important and perhaps why Autodesk is not able to simplify this so painful process.

You all in the US, have a nice relaxing break due to Thanksgiving, the rest: nice weekend anf thank you for your help.

# 22 23-11-2012 , 10:32 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
The uv mapping process is simple. Its not a painful process, it can be as quick as you want it to be. treat it as part of modelling

Auto mapping CAN get you started, but as I pointed out its not ideal. It tends to give you your shells in more pieces than you need and also most of the time they are projected in the wrong place, so in hindsight you end up cutting shells and wasting time...

As a starter exercise for anybody looking at uv's I would look at the model and decide where to create planar uv projections only. Use different color shaders as a guide for the various planes so you know where you are going to do your projections. You'll find it an easier process and chances are the unfold command in the uv edtior will fix your shells nicely giving great results, just dont select the whole shell when using unfold as it will distort the shell unnaturally.

any way I've passed on my golden nuggets from my experiences for you to improve your work flows, how you choose to use the advice is up to you....have fun

Jay

# 23 23-11-2012 , 02:33 PM
Subscriber
Hi Jay,

any way I've passed on my golden nuggets from my experiences for you to improve your work flows, how you choose to use the advice is up to you....have fun

Jay

I have collected all your golden nuggets and I will always try to remember your words:

"look at your object and decide what kind of projection would make sense. Think about planar mapping and use it as much as you can."

Thank you for your suggestions. Much appreciated.

# 24 23-11-2012 , 07:42 PM
Subscriber
@jay,

Another short question: having to texture a little scene consisting in three buildings, a living house, a barn and let say a stable. Would you use different UV sets for every building or put all together in one set? What is there the best way from a professional view?

Many thanks in advance.

# 25 23-11-2012 , 07:43 PM
EduSciVis-er
Jay, that's a workflow I haven't considered since I usually start with automapping and work from there. Would you be able (in your busy schedule) to create a tut for the planar process and what you mean by coloring groups? I'm trying to remember what you did in the Surfing with the Alien.