Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 22-11-2012 , 02:41 PM

Can't figure out how do to circular holes

I've been googling and what not since yesterday now and I can't figure this one out. I'm fairly new to Maya and this is more or less the first serious model I'm attempting, except for playing around with the tools and just getting used to hotkeys.

I want to cut out the circles inside the pipes, on those 3 "disks", but cannot figure out how to.. I tried using boolean but either it looks horrible or I'm doing something wrong.

user added image

Oh and hi community, I'm new here. ^^ Hope I did not post this in the wrong place.

Last edited by Tottel; 22-11-2012 at 05:09 PM.
# 2 22-11-2012 , 10:30 PM
EduSciVis-er
This thread might help, https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33378
I can't remember, ctbram has some good screencasts on this type of thing around. It's not a simple process, booleans might work, but not as simply "out of the box" as you have there.

# 3 23-11-2012 , 04:07 AM
That link above is more for creating holes in curved surfaces like a muzzle break.

To place holes in a disc and maintain proper topology I would use the following process. We need ten holes so

1. start with a 20 sided cylinder.
2. I added 4 cap segments
3. Then using an 8-sided cylinder as a guide I cut in the hole for one segment
4. Then using split polygon I drew in the 4 edges to the corners and merged the verts on the sides top and bottom.
5. now you can delete all but this one segment since there is symmetry and then just duplicate and rotate 36 degrees 9 times to make a complete disc.

i'll record the process for you and post it here....

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 23-11-2012 at 06:00 PM.
# 4 23-11-2012 , 04:53 AM

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 23-11-2012 , 09:38 AM
Wow, thanks a bunch! MUCH appreciated!

As you took time to even make a movie tutorial I might as well take the time to upload the result.

I remade the entire thing though, I found it easier. than trying to fit the current pipes into the holes. user added image I merged the to the base thingie in the back for some silly reason so I couldn't move them 1 by 1.
user added image

Last edited by Tottel; 23-11-2012 at 11:39 AM.