Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 22-01-2013 , 09:00 PM
Subscriber

Rigging Problem

Hi there,
I'm new to rigging in Maya and trying to rig my first character.

But after binding skin, painting weights, the rig seems to detach from the model and deforms! the polygons: see the screendumps of the hand.

Any idea what's happening here?

What I do is draw the joints in ortho.views and move them into place where needed.
Then I delete history and freeze transformations.
I select the rig then shift select the model and bind skin.
At first, without painting weights, the hand moves with the rig. But after painting it 'detache'...
I'm sure I miss something important here user added image

user added image

Help!

# 2 09-02-2013 , 07:22 PM
Is that image only one joint selected in the weighting view? What version are you using? In 2013 the weighting is greatly improved and close to the point of being "retarded proof." IF you are using an earlier version go download the plugin "Heatweight" and weight from that. Your rig will be perfectly weighted in every area but the shoulder. I consider it 95% there with one click.

# 3 09-02-2013 , 07:48 PM
Technical Director
Even though it looks like it's 100% weighted (ie white), you can have multiple joints affecting a given vertex. Use the component editor on a given vertex, and see which joints are affecting the skin weights.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 10-02-2013 , 07:39 AM
Subscriber
Thx, Chavfister and NextDesign.
I'm working in version 2012. I've managed to get a better rig after trying and trying and trying ;-) I guess there where some rotations values, so Freeze transformations did help to solve the separation of the bones from the character, but my bending isn't good at certain points. Still need to learn a lot here. Basics of rigging is easy, getting a good rig, that's another thing...