Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 21-04-2013 , 10:52 PM

Corrupted File Help?

Hi, I am not sure if this is the correct place to post, but I was hoping someone could look at a corrupted file. Stupid me forgot to save for about 5 hours while working (the middle of the night is not kind), and when I tried to smooth my object, the program became unresponsive then crashed.

I'm using the student version of Maya 2013... I'm pretty sure this has something to do with bad geometry because I didn't clean it up much (I planned on doing that immediately after the one action that happened to crash it). I've looked around pretty thoroughly and tried a bunch of things, but nothing seems to be working. I tried renaming the file, exporting/importing, and a few other things. The only thing that has kept the file from immediately crashing when I try to reopen it is going into the ASCII file and deleting the last two actions, but the geometry is still invisible. Everything seems to be in the outliner and in the .ma file... if anybody would be so kind as to let me know if I should just start over, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Sorry for n00b problems.

Attached Files
File Type: txt recovered.txt (190.6 KB, 205 views)
# 2 22-04-2013 , 02:12 AM
I assume that's the .ma file you've attached? When I open it, I see two pieces of geometry and a curve. I can see the geometry fine... although, I'm not sure what it is. ?

You could try reattaching a shader to it.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 3 22-04-2013 , 03:46 AM
Yes, it is. Sorry if that was confusing -- it would not let me attach the .ma file. I'm not sure what is going on with my computer if it is opening fine for you... every time I attempt to open the file, it immediately crashes the program. Hm.

Also, it's supposed to be one of two ears for a version of Stitch (from Lilo and Stitch) that I'm doing for a class. I'm learning Maya on my own, so it's been a bit slow-going...