Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 02-06-2013 , 04:47 PM

Irradiance Particles and refraction problem.

I'm rendering a scene with a wine glass and a square glass in a room. I'm using Irradiance Particles + FG + Importons in Maya 2014. Why am I getting this dark area at the base of the wine glass and also the glass? See image attached. I have tried everything to fix this but nothing works. If I use FG + GI this problem goes away, but I really like the look with Irradiance Particles and would prefer to render with that. The material is a mia_material_x and using the "thick glass" preset. Please help!

Cheers,

-N

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-06-2013 , 08:25 AM
Lifetime Member
There is a free tutorial on this site called "Glass Jug with NURBS and Dielectric Material" that covers modeling and rendering a glass jug. The instructor (Jay) applies a dielectric material to the jug and goes through tweaking the settings to get rid of the dark parts. I would be having a look at the second part of that.

# 3 03-06-2013 , 02:22 PM

Re: Irradiance Particles and refraction problem.

Thank you. But I really need this fix for mia_material_x and Irradiance particles. I believe I have taken care of the obvious reasons why dark spots would occur (i.e. setting trace depth etc. etc.) This seems to be an IP problem specifically.

# 4 03-06-2013 , 09:34 PM
Super Moderator
I'm still using 2013 so I haven't gotten to mess around with the changes they made to irradiance particles, but I recall this was an issue previously with no work around. Sooo...you might be out of luck on this.

- Genny
# 5 03-06-2013 , 10:13 PM
Thank you. I'm affraid you are right. Oh well, I'll have to switch to FG + GI. :-/

# 6 04-06-2013 , 11:56 AM
SM Tea Boy
IP does not like going through geo even if it's transparent. I've also never found a work around.

Shame it still seems to be an issue with 2014 user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"