Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 27-06-2013 , 06:11 AM

Logo from Illustrator import to Maya and extrude

I am about as new as they come (48 hours) and am having a hard time learning how surfaces, curves, and polys interact. I imported an adobe illustrator file as curves and that turned out excellent. I run into problems when I try to make something of it. What I want to do is have a thick rectangular extrusion with my name as a relief (as per the logo).

I extruded the nurbs rectangle as bevel plus without any bevel and did an 'S' for my name as the same. I am then unable to subtract the 'S' from the box. This is working with surfaces and curves.

I then tried to have the bevel plus result in quad polys and the extrusions work just fine but the end caps of the box and S are not allowing me to use the insert edge loop tool. I get the error: "WARNING: select an object that allows topology modification". It looks like the bevel plus tool doesn't turn the end caps into polys --- what are they then?

I really am just doing this all as an exercise so any guidance - even if it doesn't solve this problem - is welcome (like if there are better ways of going about things...).

-Thanks muchly!

# 2 28-06-2013 , 06:10 AM
Subscriber
The insert edge loop tool simply doesn't know where to put the loop due to the shape having too many verts that make up the shape or closed hole.
Did you rebuild your cu es once you brought them in from A.I? This will help simplify but notoriously difficult for a 48 hour newbie

It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion