Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 10-08-2013 , 05:24 AM

MEL for delete by history of an object.

hey there.
I wanted to know if it is possible to write a MEL or Python script, to delete any selected objects history(and not the script editors history), and freeze tranformation.

This will help me when i make GUI controllers and i do not have to select each object and go into the menues and do a lengthy set of procedure each and every time.

If anyone could help, please do.

Aaronuser added image

# 2 10-08-2013 , 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
If you turn on History>Echo All Commands in the Script Editor you'll see the MEL commands for those actions whenever you run them.

Code:
DeleteHistory;
CenterPivot;
If you want to do this for the objects you have selected, it's easy.
Code:
//Store list of the selected objects in a string array
string $selection[] = `ls -sl`;

//For every item in that list...
for($obj in $selection){

//Delete history and center pivot
DeleteHistory;
CenterPivot;

}

- Genny
# 3 13-08-2013 , 12:11 PM

Thanks!

Thank you so much!
It worked!

Thanks,
Aaron.user added image

# 4 15-10-2014 , 10:38 PM
Lifetime Member
Bumping an old thread here, I'm wondering if there's a way to delete an objects history in Python.

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 5 16-10-2014 , 01:32 AM
Super Moderator
Yep! Using the "delete" command. This code deletes the construction history on all selected objects.

Code:
import maya.cmds as mc

selection = mc.ls(sl = 1)
for obj in selection:
	mc.delete(obj , ch = 1)
I just realized in the previous MEL I posted that I added center pivot instead of freeze transformations lol. I just don't know anymore, smh.

- Genny
# 6 16-10-2014 , 02:18 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks Gen, I found a way to do it using the command (constructionHistory = False) at the creation of the object but I don't know if this is a good way to do it.

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 7 16-10-2014 , 12:58 PM
EduSciVis-er
You probably want to keep construction history on, as it will allow you to modify various operations after the fact. I would then delete construction history at certain points in the process once you're sure you don't want to dig into the history.

# 8 16-10-2014 , 08:50 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks for that tip Stwert, it was okay for what I was doing (creating a control for a rig) but I thought it might not be best practice to do it for other things.

Cheers, the Yeti.