Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 07-09-2013 , 04:59 PM

Help with creating 'roundness'/ edges?

Hi there,

I'm new to modeling in Maya and was just wondering how I can create this mouth piece on the robot - making it look curved from the top and how to get the edges to be round, of the openings. user added image

This is what I have so far...
user added image

# 2 08-09-2013 , 04:18 AM
Lifetime Member
You are almost there....

1) Select the 6 hole faces and extrude them back about half the width the frame edges then hit backspace to delete.

2) Select the border edges of the plane and extrude back to match the hole extrusions.

3) Select the center faces.

4) Use the cut faces tool to add an edge loop to the top and bottom of the holes to tighten them up and make them more square when smoothed.

5) add a smooth to the object ( this step can be done at render time if you wish).

If you need the whole object to be Convex, you can add a low resolution lattice to the object and bend it outward in the center.

Attached Thumbnails

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 08-09-2013 at 04:20 AM.