Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 16-05-2014 , 07:55 AM

Detection of interpenetration

hi all

I'm a french PhD student in palaeontology. I'm studying movement capacities of some fossil vertebrates. The basic method is to take 2 bones and manipulate them to see the maximum of rotation available. I'm particularly focusing on the wrist. Due to the fragility of some fossils and the complexity of this kind of articulation (numerous bones interconnected), a simple manual manipulation in not possible. That's why I'm trying to do it with 3D models in Maya. As I already played a bit with rigging some years ago, I think it is the best solution for me.

With real bones, the maximum of movement is found when the two bones collide. In Maya, when I rotate my joints, the 2 bones interpenetrate and the movement continue. I know it's a normal thing but I would like to know if it's possible to detect it. For example, I was thinking that the bone can change its color if it interpenetrates something.

Is it possible ?

Thanks in advance.