Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 10-08-2014 , 04:11 AM

Question about a paint effects tree

Hey everyone!

I have a quick question in relation to a paint effects brush stroke.

Currently I am trying to model a 3d forrest environment based off of some reference photography I took. I am using Maya 2014, and I am rendering with mental ray with global illumination and final gathering.

There is one paint effects tree that I used called the Keyaki Street brush. Whenever I convert this tree to polygons and then render it in mental ray, I notice that it has a strange glow. It is as if the tree has a high level of incandescence...even though I have checked the tubes shaders and the incandescence is at 0.

I believe that I changed the tube shader color to brown... so the bark should appear to be dark. However, it is giving off a bright white light... and I don't know how to fix it. None of the other tree brushes I used have been giving me this problem... so I am pretty confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.user added image

Thanks

# 2 10-08-2014 , 03:17 PM
The thin red line
Have you got a screen shot.............dave

# 3 10-08-2014 , 09:46 PM
I sure do! I just attached two images.

Thanks for the willingness to help. I'm kind of lost.

I also have one more question as well. Do you know how I can get rid of the grayness in between the ground and the sky?

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 10-08-2014 , 11:13 PM
The thin red line
What does the paint effect tree look like with a maya render (I think its to do with gamma correction), in the physicalsun try changing the sample to some thing like 32 or 64.................dave

Edit: sorry miss read your second question you can move your ground mesh higher so you do not see it

Last edited by daverave; 10-08-2014 at 11:37 PM.
# 5 10-08-2014 , 11:37 PM
Super Moderator
The tree isn't glowing, it's just that the shader on some converted paint effects trees have high reflectivity(I don't know why!), decrease it.

The gray area is the "ground", you can lower the horizon height on the physical sky or dress the set to cover it. There's a tut on here about realistic outdoor environments.

- Genny
# 6 11-08-2014 , 02:28 AM
Hey thanks for helping this newbie out guys!