Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 20-09-2014 , 05:52 AM
Subscriber

Fluids and real world scaling

Hi all

I'm not new to maya, but still get confused whenever talking about fluids and the need for real world scale when rendering (Linear workflow)

In order to get physically accurate results when rendering, we are strongly adviced to scale assets to real world dimensions. On the other hand, all the tutorials about fluids that i've seen, use relatively small containers, otherwise the render and calculations would take years to finish.

Now, lets say that I have a scene tha involves modeled asstes and fluids containers. How do I combine the need of scaling things up for proper linear workflow, with the necessity of creating small containers???

please, save me!! user added image
thanks,
uv

# 2 20-09-2014 , 09:01 AM
SM Tea Boy
Simple answer, simulate out your fluid, cache it then scale it to the size you need.

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 20-09-2014 , 10:53 AM
Subscriber

Simple answer, simulate out your fluid, cache it then scale it to the size you need.

First of all, thanks for the quick response.

As far as I understand from your answer- i have to breakdown the scene preperation into 3 major parts:

1st. Small scale poly assets interacting with small scale fluid containers. Any adjustments to the containers and emitter attributes will take place in this stage.

2nd. Caching the fluids (will have to look how its done, Hmmm...)

3rd. Scaling up the entire scene. A question here though: Scaling up the fluids containers should be done seperately from the poly assets (via the scale attr. in the channel box or via the "special" scale options in the container attributes) Or should I just group the entire scene and then scale up the whole group??

Thanks again and sorry for the headache user added image
Cheers,
uv.

# 4 20-09-2014 , 11:18 AM
SM Tea Boy
After you cache the fluid, disable the evaluation on the container, you should then be able to group everything and scale to the desired size.

Depending on your version of maya this can lead to some problems but 99% of the time you're going to be just fine. If you hit any snags just fire of another post.

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 20-09-2014 , 12:38 PM
Subscriber

After you cache the fluid, disable the evaluation on the container, you should then be able to group everything and scale to the desired size.

Depending on your version of maya this can lead to some problems but 99% of the time you're going to be just fine. If you hit any snags just fire of another post.

Dave user added image

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

# 6 08-08-2015 , 10:13 PM
Hi,

I am working on a fluid fire explosion, it's my first time. My fluid disappears after the explosion. They sort of just evaporate and poof gone. It's probably something simple :\ why is this happening and how can I fix this?

Thanks!
-Maya