Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 27-06-2015 , 02:27 PM
EduSciVis-er

Icon file location - Maya 2016

Does anyone know where the tool icons are stored in Maya 2016? E.g. In the shelf editor, I can see reverseSurface.png. Where is that png file? Or how might I extract it? Or is it irretrievably locked away?

I understand that Maya now ships with high res icons for high res displays, and it would be lovely to access those.

Thanks,
Stuart

# 2 27-06-2015 , 03:22 PM
EduSciVis-er

Got the low-res icons at least!

I found this thread, but the penultimate post doesn't export anything, it just prints out the name of all the icons, as per the "except" statement.
https://tech-artists.org/forum/showth...ing-Maya-Icons

Edit before posting: Ah, got it, I had to replace the "\" with "/" in my windows path. I guess that's what python is expecting, a bit counter-intuitive.

So now I've got ~2200 pngs (albeit not the high res versions) and ~290 svgs. Beautiful. Perhaps if I run the same command on a high-res display I might get the larger versions? Perhaps someone could verify this before I go looking for someone who has one.

Code:
from pymel.core import *
for item in resourceManager(nameFilter='*'):
    try:
        #Make sure the folder exists before attempting.
        resourceManager(saveAs=(item, "F:/Documents/maya/2016/prefs/icons/native/{0}".format(item)))    
    except:
        #For the cases in which some files do not work for windows, name formatting wise. I'm looking at you 'http:'!
        print item