Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 07-07-2015 , 05:38 PM

Animating a cycle with a perfect start and end transition + offset principle

Hello dear Simply Maya,

I've struggled with this problem for a while now and it's been hard ever since to take out the "snap" that shows when the end frame goes back to the starting frame without any interpolation.

Usually what I do is make both frames linear so that it slows out and slows back in again and then I make the cycle one frame shorter, but the snap is still visible.

Since I've learned to use the offset principle this has been getting a lot harder now.

Of course there is the traditional way of fixing this by using the frame-by-frame technique (which I'm fond of when 2d animating). Although it gets on my nerves to be unable to use the nice curve system our 3d animation software includes. Plus I am a huge fan of smooth interpolation and love to animate in a correct fashion to use stuff like slow-motion or have my work be easily editable.

I have two questions concerning this matter:

1. How do you pull this off? What is your way of getting smooth transitioning in a cycle's end and start?

2. Is there maybe a script or plug-in that aligns the end and starting frame as if they were connected?

Unity has a button that is called "Loop Pose" which matches the end and starting frame automatically so it should be possible to have the same in Maya but then editable.

I've seen a trick used where the animator creates instead of 1 loop, 2 or 3 loops as 1 to counter (or cheat) the snap that occurs rendering it almost invisible to the viewer's eye (even though we see right through it).

https://youtu.be/8ET7TPq70uc

Though this is something I really want to avoid.

Thanks for reading and wish to hear soon from my fellow animators.

- David

# 2 20-07-2015 , 12:22 AM

Solved! :D