Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 13-07-2015 , 10:48 PM

Help with Twist Deformers

TL;DR:

Basically, everything below is moderately irrelevant. I'm wondering if I can create three rotation controls for a single nonlinear twist deformer, wherein I would have one control for each end and another to independently twist the center. A default twist deformer only has one modifier for each end.

I want to twist a thing.

But the default twist deformer only twists two ends of the thing.

I can create two deformers on the same object, giving it a Twist1 and Twist2 Node.

This creates two start angles and two end angles: twist1.start angle (T1S), twist1.end angle(T1E) and twist2.start angle (T2S), twist2.end angle (T2S); the center two are adjacent: T1E/T2S.

I connect T1E and T2S to a single control curve's X rotation axis.

When I twist T1S and T2E (the outermost twist controls) it works just fine.

When I twist the center two, however, the entire object rotates with it.

I have tried workarounds where I've ignored T1E and T2S (the center two) and created a wire deformer square that deforms the center, but this leaves me with some wobble in the flexiplane.

That's the circumstance. I can provide pics if needed.

Any help at all is appreciated. user added image Thanks!

# 2 14-07-2015 , 10:05 PM
The thin red line
Could you provide a picture of what you are trying to do................dave

# 3 20-07-2015 , 06:01 AM
Sorry; I should have done this from the start.

Here's the same post, pics included (I'm too lazy to change anything else haha):

TL;DR:

I'm wondering if I can create three rotation controls for a single nonlinear twist deformer, wherein I would have one control for each end and another to independently twist the center. A default twist deformer only has one modifier for each end.

Long version.

I want to twist a thing:

user added image

I want to twist it in three places, but the default twist deformer only twists two ends of the thing:

user added image

I can create two deformers on the same object, giving it a Twist1 and Twist2 Node:

user added image

This creates two start angles and two end angle attributes:

user added image

I create three controls: one for each end and a third for my intended central twist deform:

user added image

In the Connection Editor, I connect T1E and T2S to their respective curve's X rotation axis and T1S/T2E to their Central Control:

user added image

When I twist T1S and T2E (the outermost twist controls) it works just fine:

user added image

When I twist the center two (T1E and T2S), however, the entire object rotates with it:

user added image

I have tried workarounds where I've foregone using the Twist Deformers' medial controls and created a wire deformer square that deforms the center, but this leaves me with some wobble in the flexiplane, even though all three controls are rotated at exactly 90 degrees:

user added image

Any help at all is appreciated. user added image Thanks!