Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 31-08-2015 , 11:29 AM

Change object's forward direction

Hi,

I have some car models which I'd like to use in Unity3D. These models were made with Maya, so their forward direction is wrong in Unity. They are set to Y instead of Z. My question is it possible to change an existing model's forward direction in Maya? I've dowloaded the trial for this purpose, but I couldn't figure out how to do this, if it is even possible. I tried to fix it through the car's scripts but it didn't really work out. I hope someone can help me with this, so thanks in advance for any reply.

# 2 31-08-2015 , 04:02 PM
EduSciVis-er

# 3 31-08-2015 , 05:28 PM
To be honest I have no experience with Maya, I just read that it had other orientation, but now I checked it in Maya and they really the same. I tried the method in the first link before, it actually solved the problem with the direction but it caused other issues with the wheels (which I managed to fix but in a really "noobish" way, here is a thread about that I made, to give you more info). That's why I though I'd just change the model in Maya so I tried to rotate the model and exported it and with the same settings that worked before it just shooted into space (also it shrinked, so I had to resize it in Unity). Maybe I did something wrong while exporting, I'll try it again. If something is unclear please let me know.