Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 11-01-2016 , 09:58 AM

Baking beginner mistake (comes out black)

Hey,
after 1 days of pure search around i finally raise the white flag. I need help.

To make it short, when i bake and doing ambient occlusion the tiff file is complelty black.

Details;
I am following this tutorial here BrainProof. Basically trying to bake high to low poly. Normal maps works fine, but the ao tiff comes out different then his, completly black.
I can ofc resart the whole tutorial and that probably solves the problem ( im 99% sure the problem is on my part) but as frustating the problem is, i take it as a learning experrience.

What i tried so far

- uv mapping on automatic to see if it was because of overlap or anything else i did wrong. But that didnt change anything.
- Tried to normal vertex so the black part was outside instead. Didnt help either.
- no negativ z or x positions. All are on 0 and scale 1.
- going back to different saves of the process, added another high poly, still the same.

I'm complelty lost. Added the scene too. Really would be awesome if someone could explain me my fault on this Smiley Happy Thanks

https://www.filedropper.com/maya-14beforebaking

Edit* It been fixed user added image

The mr got corrupted and used wrong version, the mr update patch sp5 from site will fix it.

Last edited by yilan; 11-01-2016 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Fixed
# 2 11-01-2016 , 02:17 PM
Subscriber
Hello, try to do this way:
1. Mark all items you want to render in AO
2. Go under Chanelbox/Layer Editor and click on "Render Layer"
3. Under Render Layer you click the right Icon "Take the objects and assign to a new layer"
4. You have a new "layer 2" now, right mouse click on it, last option "attributes"
5. Here you can choose under presets the AO
6. Choosing this lets your objects get black because you assign automatically a surface shader to it
7. Staying on this render layer you can do this render and it should result in a AO render

Try also under youtube to search for AO renderings