Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 20-06-2003 , 09:02 PM

.ma and .mb-filetypes

in the meanwhile i feel having found a good foundation here in this forum. thanks.

question 1
can someone explain me in a short statement when to save a file in .ma filetype and when to save it in .mbfiletyp?

question 2
how can i take some objects out of a group?

so long.

# 2 20-06-2003 , 10:23 PM
question 2: Edit<Ungroup maybe?

MSN: cyborg_corporation@hotmail.com
AIM: RavagingOrc
# 3 20-06-2003 , 10:26 PM
select your group, then go to the generals tab, and next to the group button, is ungroup. HALs may wrok too, dunno.

I think .ma if for exported files. Shaders, and such. .mb is used for scenes i think.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 4 20-06-2003 , 10:45 PM

Originally posted by Ultragames
I think .ma if for exported files. Shaders, and such. .mb is used for scenes i think.

No. .MA and .MB files contain the same scene information. The main difference is in how the information is stored. .MB files are binary, meaning they can only be read by Maya but are very optimized in terms of data compression and disk space usage. .MA files are ASCII files, meaning they are simple text files that can be opened and edited with any text editor. In general, you're fine sticking with .MB files. .MA files are useful when you need to open the file in an older version of Maya or if you want to do some fancy troubleshooting/file editing using a text editor instead of opening things in Maya.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 5 20-06-2003 , 10:48 PM

Re: .ma and .mb-filetypes

Originally posted by colomea
question 2
how can i take some objects out of a group?

Select the object and unparent it (shift-P).

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 6 23-06-2003 , 07:04 AM
works well, thanks