Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 31 23-06-2003 , 12:12 AM
KB.. I have the story flushed out and first part/episode story boarded,, have to change a few things I added, but its there.

The 2 drawing I have in the WIP section are characters in the story....

Need Kev=) to find a few sponsors for the film or sereis than we can move and have enough money to live while its in production.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 32 23-06-2003 , 12:16 AM

Originally posted by NitroLiq
My .02 is that if you're working, even if the job sucks and the pay isn't what you're used to....continue to work and keep cranking out resumes for other gigs. At least you have a steady income which is more than alot of other folks, myself included, have.

It isn't as simple as it sounds. Believe me I'm in this situation right now. I once played with a thought that if I was living a normal life (including work, laundry, dishes, sleeping, cleaning, etc everyday stuff), I would have about 2 hours per day for Maya and CG. Now what can you honestly do in that time? Just as you've got in to a good working tempo you need to stop and go to sleep to wake up lively to your work.

*edit*
A side note: it's 3:15am now and I'm taking a break from modeling. I should be going to work at 7:00am... whee, where's my coffee :p

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!

Last edited by kbrown; 23-06-2003 at 12:20 AM.
# 33 23-06-2003 , 12:26 AM
Subscriber
Nitro- I am in southern CT right over the NY line. right by portchester/rye, about 35 minutes from ya?

# 34 23-06-2003 , 01:49 AM
KB: I agree it's not easy especially when you'd rather be doing something else....at the same time...it's better than being unemployed when you have rent, bills, etc. to pay.

Howard: I haven't been up that way since like 97 or so...bought my computer desk from a staples right across the NY border in Greenwich.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 35 23-06-2003 , 03:26 AM
I can see an animation studio emerging from here. user added image

# 36 23-06-2003 , 03:42 AM
The Maya Mountain
I can relate with the job market, Rage. I was leaving my teacher's assistant job soon after 9/11, and found myself jobless pretty much ever since, until just recently. Hopefully, the country is rebuilding its economy now.

Hey! You guys can't go start a studio without me! lol user added image

# 37 23-06-2003 , 04:17 AM
Subscriber
"The next time some a$$hole tells you this, tell them to stay in the theater and actually count the names in the graphics and vfx credits for once"

EXCELLENT POINT - My boss always wants CNN type effects and then says finish it in 2 days.

You might know the other design mantra-
Tell the client /Boss he can only have 2 of these- Good, Fast , Cheap.
ie he can have good and fast but not cheap, cheap and good but not fast...etc etc....fast and cheap but not good :-))))

Rage hang in ther buddy. For some strange reason I was thinking that you were from Sweden :-)

grrrr
# 38 23-06-2003 , 05:31 AM
1.Nationality

American Born Chinese
ABC for those of you in the know user added image

2.Which country are you in

USA

3.What is your job

Animation instructor at the University of Oregon, freelance artist/consultant

4.Where do you want to be in 2-5 years time

Any combination of these 3 things:
1. Finishing my MFA in media design (haven't started yet).
2. Working as an animator for a successful game company.
3. Running my own studio.

5. Biggest fear with regards to job

Not being able to support myself (currently having trouble with this one).
Not enjoying what I do for a living (hasn't been a problem yet).

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 39 23-06-2003 , 07:32 AM
Kevin
1.Nationality- English
2.Which country are you in- England
3.What is your job- Looking after adldesigner
4.Where do you want to be in 2-5 years time- looking over the sea in my mansion.
5.Biggest fear with regards to job- If all else fails...I can dig a pretty good hole. But yep... going back to labouring /digging holes / mixing cement - makes me feel quite ill!

# 40 23-06-2003 , 08:13 AM
Subscriber
Kevin did you use to do that? Tell us more? How did you get into 3d then? How did you claw your way out. You got balls man.

You know what Kevin??...here in Switzerland the local government is so bloody rich that they do construction work all the time. They dig up PERFECT roads just to relay them. They tear up sidewalk just to replace it with similar ones.
Right now jobs are difficult to come by but in the local newspaper there is always jobs for labourers. I feel quiet ill knowing that if life deals a bad hand then I might end up doing the same.

P.S- No disrespect intended to labourers. They all have a story to tell as well. It's just that I want better than that. Just finished paying my University loana dn overdraft :-)

grrrr

Last edited by slickrenderer; 23-06-2003 at 08:15 AM.
# 41 23-06-2003 , 09:41 AM
Kevin
yep its true mate

I have a small web design company and due to the low amount of work comming through I had to support it by labouring for my father in law. He owns a building firm and used to pay me cash...so I used to plough it all into the company to try to make it work.

I did 3 days a week on the buildings then my company stuff in the evenings and weekends.

I hated it BAD! I used to feel so ill even thinking of what was in store! The work was so hard.... I always used to get the monkey jobs like moving 2 tons of bricks and crap to the skip that was like 100 yards down the road!! And when it rained - dam it was all slippy and crappy!

Then one day I feel of the skip in the pissing rain and hurt my back - it was kinda the last straw!

By then this site was just about ready to go - so I took the gamble and just hoped! I got a loan to help pay immediate outstanding bills and hoped I would make enough to cover the monthly outgoings.

Now there is no web design work at all comming in.... Things are kinda hard again - but we do have the hosting going live soon and a few other bits that may just do the job!

Failing that - IF things get to tough I may just have to hit the wheel barrow again for a few weeks just to get level again.

But this is a last resort! I fell into a really big depression while doing it before.... Its ok for a lot of guys who say to me "hey, its great outdoors, fresh air... a bit of hard work etc etc..." and I guess it is, But not then when you have to come home and start work again till 2 or 3 every morning.

user added image

# 42 23-06-2003 , 12:46 PM
Yeah but think of those manly biceps you'll get from all that lifting!! user added image

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."

Last edited by NitroLiq; 23-06-2003 at 01:00 PM.
# 43 23-06-2003 , 12:58 PM
No worries Kev me come over to help out=)

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 44 23-06-2003 , 02:04 PM
Kevin
dam ragey!! just read ya post LOL

mate you is welcome here anytime mate, as kurt may have told you.... we have the model shop comming soon and other things...as soon as things pick up, Ill sponser your ass and you can come here!!

Ill buy you a pint user added image

# 45 23-06-2003 , 02:07 PM
Yippy.... making of the best animation studio ever we will be the next BlueSky PDI or Pixar =)