Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 02-09-2003 , 02:53 AM
The Maya Mountain
I usually just keep it at centimeters and it works fine.

# 17 02-09-2003 , 02:58 AM
OK, now I *am* confused. (sorry)

Sooo, leave the grid at centimeters, however *count them* as 1 square = 1 foot not make the grid squares equal 1 foot?

Darn it, this is gonna be the hardest part at this rate LOL

# 18 02-09-2003 , 03:02 AM
The Maya Mountain
lol, it really isn't a big deal. It's all just for your own benefit so that you are able to keep everything to scale.

However, in a real studio situation, I do have to convert my Maya files over to 3DS Max and the units have to remain as they are for the model to work. We use a program called Deep Exploration which will take a Maya .obj and save it as a .3ds file, keeping the units straight between the two applications.

# 19 02-09-2003 , 03:03 AM
Subscriber
* i'm just inquistive but wouldn't you just eyeball it and then later when it's appropriate, group the lot, scale the whole thing up/down to scale. Of course you'll have to model to scale to begin with. I probably won't be doing this entry cause its not the low poly that scares me, its the texturing. user added image Good to see you're in it thoug Nataliia.

# 20 02-09-2003 , 03:19 AM
The Maya Mountain
If it were just a matter of the entire thing, yeah, sure, that could work. But when it comes to keeping different objects in correct scale in relation to each other, it's good to have some kind of frame of reference (such as 1 unit = 1 foot).

# 21 02-09-2003 , 03:21 AM
OK. I guess I was taking it a tad too literally user added image So, I square = 1 (whatever I want it to be as long as it's the same thing every single time) foot.

hehe

Thanks muchly Mr Mike!!

# 22 02-09-2003 , 12:05 PM
awwwwwwwww.....I love your entry and its noobie =/

I told you last time to enter as normal

user added image

# 23 02-09-2003 , 12:26 PM
>I told you last time to enter as normal

Last time this happened there was so much confusion that the person who ended up winning resigned from the contest. Lets leave the moddies and the entrants themselves to decide what catagories they should be in.

Oh and ya stone circle still looks great, luvv user added image

# 24 02-09-2003 , 12:38 PM

Originally posted by EagleKing
I told you last time to enter as normal

Having only had the program for less than 2 months, call it beginners luck and an insane amount of time allowed on the machine. I could, in no way, compare to Howard or Witchy user added image Maybe we can convince the moddies of an "Intermediate" level, though.

Originally posted by [icarus_uk]
Oh and ya stone circle still looks great, luvv user added image

Thanks and don't call me "luvv" :bgreen: *sigh* some folks user added image

# 25 02-09-2003 , 12:52 PM

Originally posted by Nataliia
Thanks and don't call me "luvv"

ye...don't call her luvv or something painful will happen. :mingun:

"I Having only had the program for less than 2 months"

user added image

I started like 7 months ago and I am still not able to create a nice face. Your work is like a year of intensive using maya.

# 26 02-09-2003 , 01:20 PM

Originally posted by EagleKing
I started like 7 months ago and I am still not able to create a nice face. Your work is like a year of intensive using maya.

Ehh ... that would be because she actually loads the program. :p

Very cool entry Nataliia! user added image

# 27 02-09-2003 , 04:07 PM
Subscriber
I pray daily for an intermediate level LOL. Being dumped into normal, where one is simply unable to keep up, because some people went on and on about it, is as much fun as having holes drilled in ones head. If you want to force someone into normal force yourself.

This one should be jolly given Nat's love of all things dark and celtic. I might need to rephrase that....

Last edited by Witchy; 03-09-2003 at 02:39 AM.
# 28 03-09-2003 , 02:08 AM
A new "totem" for the celtic theme, a Celtic Cross with knotwork, etc. Modelled after the Celtic cross in the graveyard of Crichton Churchyard, near Roslyn Chapel in the Scottish borders. I've included one which is the equivelent of about 8' and some smaller ones of approximately 4'. They were textured with a single 256x512 texture, front, back and sides.
Verts: 1360
Edges: 3785
Faces: 2490
UVs: 2720

Attached Thumbnails
# 29 03-09-2003 , 02:13 AM
Subscriber
Very cool! Is the detail bump mapped?

# 30 03-09-2003 , 02:37 AM

Originally posted by HappyLemon
Very cool! Is the detail bump mapped?

Nope, just a very nice texture. I tried not to use anything extra like bump mapping, etc, as that generally doesn't carry over well into a gaming environment, afaik. The texture is a photo of an actual Celtic cross and it just looks that nice user added image I may bump it later for myself just to see how it looks, though.