Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 15-12-2003 , 10:19 AM
Subscriber

Upgraging PC component advice anyone?

Ok! I have a PC (wow! really

No seriously it's an-
AMD Athlon 2000XP
1.3GB of DDR RAM
40GB IBM C: Drive
40GB Maxtor D: Drive
CDxDVD ROM Drive
CD burner 12X
Network card
Geforce Ti 4600 128Mb Video Card.
Power supply is 230-250 watts I think (Will have to check when I get home)

Now recently the C drive has started playing up. I get errors all the time and strange noises.

SO i am planing to

A- Throw the IBM C: drive replace it with the Maxtor 40GB drive (the current D: drive)
And buy a NEW 160GB Maxtor drive D: for storage.

B- I am also thinking of installing a firewire card.

C- New CPU fan as the older one is going crazy.

D- Buy an external DVD burner. (To hook up with my new dell Precision M60 laptop + this PC)

Now my question-

1- An AMD 2000 XP system is still ok isn't it for investing in the above mentioned upgrades? It's not like throwing money on a dead horse? OR?

2- Will the power supply meet the demands of all the above mentioned upgrades?

Any suggestion???? Thanks again

P.S- I do graphic and 3d work.
P.S.S- I have noticed that I always get PC proplems exactly around christmas time hmmm!!!

grrrr
# 2 17-12-2003 , 01:23 PM
Subscriber

Re: Upgraging PC component advice anyone?

Originally posted by slickrenderer
1- An AMD 2000 XP system is still ok isn't it for investing in the above mentioned upgrades? It's not like throwing money on a dead horse?

If you can use the PC to do what you want then you're not wasting money. Installing a larger drive and adding a firewire card are good enhancements to a current system.

2- Will the power supply meet the demands of all the above mentioned upgrades?

It sounds like your power supply is OK, However, if you were to purchase a higher wattage unit, it would enable you to reuse it later should you decide to upgrade to a different mobo/processor/card combo. I'd suggest a350W.

P.S.S- I have noticed that I always get PC proplems exactly around christmas time hmmm!!!

Yeah, I think it's designed in; just like the "warranty-expiration-and-system-failure" chip that most devices seem to contain.

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 3 20-12-2003 , 06:04 PM
Maxtor = Good Choice
Upgrade your PSU, that way you won't have to worry....350watts is a good starting point.

Change your CPU fan...the last thing you want is AMD extra crispy.
A good brand name that from my own experience is good, is thermaltake...my fan is rated for 7000 hours...so far so good user added image

# 4 02-01-2004 , 07:17 AM
Subscriber
Hello,
I would suggest upgrading your PSU. The Ti4600 takes some power, give me a few minutes and I will have a wattage calc for you....Here is a list of some wattages:

https://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread...&threadid=2487

Here's the calculator:
https://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

Hope this helps, the one other thing I would suggest, even though, you shouldn't do it if you play games also is upgrade to a 3d card, IE Quadro FireXGL, not nessicarly a gaming card like the geforce. And whatever you do don't get an abit Ti, and don't upgrade to a FX either, unless you plan on getting the 5950 Ultra, because the lowwer ones are slowwer than your Ti4600, trust me on this one. IF anything get a 9600Xt radeon from Asus, they are a pretty good card and have really good reviews. They out preform the 9800SE and non-pro.

As for the fan, if you feel up to it take it apart and clean it or just spray it with some canned air. Unless it makes a "noise" then you might need to oil it. The only thing with theses solutions is that it could quit on you at anytime. I would suggest a Thermaltake Volcano 11+ or 12. The thermaltake however are made more for the OC'ers.

user added image
Regrads,
Jklaroe

Last edited by jklaroe; 02-01-2004 at 07:19 AM.
# 5 10-01-2004 , 10:30 PM
Subscriber
Thanks...I changed the fan. The power supply was actually 300watt. Everything is fine now.
I have a new 120gb HD for storage and new 80GBhd for system
I will stick with the current setup for a bit now.
Then upgrade to a complete new system when the performance is needed.
I had forgotten about this post.

grrrr