Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 15-12-2003 , 10:19 AM
Subscriber

Upgraging PC component advice anyone?

Ok! I have a PC (wow! really

No seriously it's an-
AMD Athlon 2000XP
1.3GB of DDR RAM
40GB IBM C: Drive
40GB Maxtor D: Drive
CDxDVD ROM Drive
CD burner 12X
Network card
Geforce Ti 4600 128Mb Video Card.
Power supply is 230-250 watts I think (Will have to check when I get home)

Now recently the C drive has started playing up. I get errors all the time and strange noises.

SO i am planing to

A- Throw the IBM C: drive replace it with the Maxtor 40GB drive (the current D: drive)
And buy a NEW 160GB Maxtor drive D: for storage.

B- I am also thinking of installing a firewire card.

C- New CPU fan as the older one is going crazy.

D- Buy an external DVD burner. (To hook up with my new dell Precision M60 laptop + this PC)

Now my question-

1- An AMD 2000 XP system is still ok isn't it for investing in the above mentioned upgrades? It's not like throwing money on a dead horse? OR?

2- Will the power supply meet the demands of all the above mentioned upgrades?

Any suggestion???? Thanks again

P.S- I do graphic and 3d work.
P.S.S- I have noticed that I always get PC proplems exactly around christmas time hmmm!!!

grrrr
# 2 17-12-2003 , 01:23 PM
Subscriber

Re: Upgraging PC component advice anyone?

Originally posted by slickrenderer
1- An AMD 2000 XP system is still ok isn't it for investing in the above mentioned upgrades? It's not like throwing money on a dead horse?

If you can use the PC to do what you want then you're not wasting money. Installing a larger drive and adding a firewire card are good enhancements to a current system.

2- Will the power supply meet the demands of all the above mentioned upgrades?

It sounds like your power supply is OK, However, if you were to purchase a higher wattage unit, it would enable you to reuse it later should you decide to upgrade to a different mobo/processor/card combo. I'd suggest a350W.

P.S.S- I have noticed that I always get PC proplems exactly around christmas time hmmm!!!

Yeah, I think it's designed in; just like the "warranty-expiration-and-system-failure" chip that most devices seem to contain.

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 3 20-12-2003 , 06:04 PM
Maxtor = Good Choice
Upgrade your PSU, that way you won't have to worry....350watts is a good starting point.

Change your CPU fan...the last thing you want is AMD extra crispy.
A good brand name that from my own experience is good, is thermaltake...my fan is rated for 7000 hours...so far so good user added image

# 4 02-01-2004 , 07:17 AM
Subscriber
Hello,
I would suggest upgrading your PSU. The Ti4600 takes some power, give me a few minutes and I will have a wattage calc for you....Here is a list of some wattages:

https://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread...&threadid=2487

Here's the calculator:
https://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

Hope this helps, the one other thing I would suggest, even though, you shouldn't do it if you play games also is upgrade to a 3d card, IE Quadro FireXGL, not nessicarly a gaming card like the geforce. And whatever you do don't get an abit Ti, and don't upgrade to a FX either, unless you plan on getting the 5950 Ultra, because the lowwer ones are slowwer than your Ti4600, trust me on this one. IF anything get a 9600Xt radeon from Asus, they are a pretty good card and have really good reviews. They out preform the 9800SE and non-pro.

As for the fan, if you feel up to it take it apart and clean it or just spray it with some canned air. Unless it makes a "noise" then you might need to oil it. The only thing with theses solutions is that it could quit on you at anytime. I would suggest a Thermaltake Volcano 11+ or 12. The thermaltake however are made more for the OC'ers.

user added image
Regrads,
Jklaroe

Last edited by jklaroe; 02-01-2004 at 07:19 AM.
# 5 10-01-2004 , 10:30 PM
Subscriber
Thanks...I changed the fan. The power supply was actually 300watt. Everything is fine now.
I have a new 120gb HD for storage and new 80GBhd for system
I will stick with the current setup for a bit now.
Then upgrade to a complete new system when the performance is needed.
I had forgotten about this post.

grrrr