Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 13-03-2008 , 06:38 AM
Subscriber
yeah I was getting a slight sense of a Tim Burton style especially on Death.

# 17 13-03-2008 , 07:23 AM
Subscriber
Arran, Mike and Neo...

Cheers fellas.

Yeah, I guess Burton is a big influence... the intro music is from Beetlejuce.... I've always loved his stuff (apart from PeeWee's big adventure, something about him gives me the creeps!).

I might go back to DEATH:Nell at some point to polish it up, add the suggetsed lighting etc... there's also plenty of mistakes that need dealing with, but not for a while yet.

For those of you who can't watch Youtube, HERE'S a link for a high res version in .wmv format. It's around 56Meg so I'd suggest right clicking and saving rather than streaming.

And what's next..... well I'm trying to get my head round realflow at the moment so perhaps something liquidy..... I've also got a couple more university projects that need sorting out before I finish at the end of next month and I'm redesigning my website so I've got my hands full at the moment but I'll definately make a new WIP thread when I start a new project.

Thanks,

Mat.

# 18 13-03-2008 , 07:28 PM
not bad at all dude, if you want to be animate for a living, ditch the real flow, grab a rig and animate day and night user added image

# 19 13-03-2008 , 08:04 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Matt

Well done mate. I dont think you'll have a problem getting in somewhere, just do a bunch of DVDs send them out to whoever you want to impress. Then wait!!

but as Laurie says, ditch the realflow and grab a rig. theres no point in doing particle sims if you wanna be a character animator, chalk and cheese mate. But saying that theres no harm in having other skills that can make you a valuable asset, providing you know your stuff and arent just using it as a gimmick

Again well done - we likes it precious!

Jay

# 20 13-03-2008 , 08:18 PM
If I was you mat, I would grab a copy of motion builder, for animation its awesome.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 21 13-03-2008 , 08:52 PM
Subscriber
Cheers Laurie and Jay,

The realflow thing is really just for one of my uni projects, it's a bunch easier than the Maya particle systems... although I see that gster is using N-Cloth for liquid sim at the moment which had never crossed my mind.

You're both right, animate, animate animate.... that's what I need to be doing and will be doing when I've got these uni projects out of the way.

Thanks again for all the positive feedback, I feel a whole more confident about finding emploment for it.

Cheers,

Mat.

edit. Sorry Steve, you best me to the post!! Yeah, I've tried motion builder in the past and I've been thinking about having another blast at it. I'll get these projecs done and then give it a bash.

# 22 13-03-2008 , 09:00 PM
No probs mate,

It is a bit strange to get used to, its kinda really really simple to use it seems like theres something wrong.

MB is really good, blending mo cap with animation, using FBIK layers of animations etc etc, its really good and fast!

Theres some free tutorials over on 3d Buzz that got over the basics well worht getting hold of.

Everytime I open it now I get a smile on my face!!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle