Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 24-06-2011 , 06:04 AM
Acid44

Tileable UV Tutorial?

I need a tutorial for tile-able UV'ing in Maya, I want to create a road system and don't quite get how to get it all to link together. The best I've come up with so far is to do each linear group of faces (from sidewalk to sidewalk, like 10 foot lengthwise section, for example) of the road one by one, and somehow manage to fit them together in the same UV space accurately. (If you get what I mean by this it's really painstaking and not too time efficient, and maybe you could explain it better user added image)

I have a fair sized road network that I need to texture, and it has corners, so it makes this even harder. So if you know of a tutorial, could you point me to it? I've looked at the ones here and didn't see anything that would really deal with the same stuff D:

# 2 24-06-2011 , 07:51 AM
The thin red line

Last edited by daverave; 24-06-2011 at 07:54 AM.
# 3 24-06-2011 , 08:53 AM
Acid44
Didn't at all get what he was on about until I saw the painting part and realized I've used that before user added image Thanks for the link

I don't really know if that would help for what I'm going for though. It's great for regular/organic terrain, but I need to have a totally inorganic texture of road/sidewalk.

I understand the Photoshop part of it entirely, just not sure how to do the UV's for it. If it helps, it's hopefully going to be (hopefully) used with Unreal Engine or CryEngine in the end, so it would all have to be (preferably) contained in the UV grid and easy to transport to different shaders and such.

I think I may have found something

"There is an easy solution!
Select the faces that are for the road..
In the UV editor select unitize.
Now all the faces should be stacked ontop of each other..
Now do an edge ring selection (all the horizontal edges should be selected) and deselected just one horizontal edge..
Now do a move and sew...
You will now have a nice repeating UV map for you road!
Enjoy!!
(i'm typing this from memory so if it doesn't work let me know and i'll test it at work)..."

Source: https://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=778285

Though I don't have Maya with me at the moment, would some fine lad here be able to verify it for me, either by knowledge or trial? If not I'll just wait till I can get on Maya, no biggie user added imageuser added image

EDIT 2: I just realized, that doesn't really handle the matter of intersections/curves in the road. Any idea on how I could pull that off? Doing them as separate objects with their own maps seems excessive to me, given how may different types there are in most games, anyways.

Last edited by Acid44; 24-06-2011 at 09:13 AM.
# 4 24-06-2011 , 09:46 AM
The thin red line
I dont know if you have built your road already but wouldnt it have been easer to say build a straight, bend and intersection parts then UV these when you dublicate them the UVs will lay on top of each other...........dave

# 5 24-06-2011 , 10:00 AM
Acid44
The section I've built so far isn't too large, so I could rebuild it and do it that way easily, but I can see problems arising from that when I need perfectly smooth sections. Would be very time consuming making all the little hill bits and such, no?

# 6 24-06-2011 , 10:36 AM
Lifetime Member
Let me know how you go acid!!! I have also tried this and its a pain in the ring! Wont you also have problems if you try and fit the road into the UV grid...as this will throw resoltion out the window for PS etc???? Have you tried some sort of shader...Ive been fooling with them for a couple of days...might be worth a shot...lets face it if you are driving down the road you wont be counting stones in the hotmix??

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 28-06-2011 , 05:51 AM
Acid44
Im a detail nut when it comes to gaming user added image So I'll be counting the stones

Anyways, I've finally got around to having a go at things, and it definitely seem that Dave's way is the best way to go for me. I couldn't get the way I posted to work, and anything else just seems a major pain in the ass.