Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 23-12-2011 , 08:57 PM

Texturing downloaded model? (n00b)

Hey guys sorry if this is a n00b question but I've been trying to search for an answer for a few days now to no avail.

Problem: I've downloaded the ninja mesh that is hosted here (https://www.3dfiggins.com/scrap/rig3.rar) and can't seem to texture the darn thing. I've tried simply isolating a single portion of the mesh (right side of head)... deleting all UV's and history... and then planar mapping it. The UV looks adequate for now, but when I assign a blinn(or anything) and assign a checkered texture it just turns white. I thought this might be because it was stretched or something therefore showing just a single box portion... nope the UV looks fine and it overlaps MANY squares

I've tried remapping it multiple ways, but I feel like I'm missing something EXTREMELY MUNDANE. I've selected the mesh and chosen "6" for textures in viewport, with no change. I've rendered with software, hardware, and ray... with no changes user added image

Please help, any words of advice would be awesome! THANK YOU!

Again, the planar map was just for simplicity. I've since tried every type possible lol... no results

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Files
File Type: zip ninja_mesh.zip (139.2 KB, 269 views)

Last edited by ECCsimmons; 24-12-2011 at 05:23 PM.
# 2 23-12-2011 , 10:35 PM
The thin red line
Go to repeat UVs in the checker boad texture and increase the value in both U and V.............dave

Edit: when you say over lap squares what do you mean?

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by daverave; 23-12-2011 at 10:49 PM.
# 3 24-12-2011 , 12:03 AM
Sorry, by overlapping squares I mean in the UV editor the shaded UVs are not inside one square(say a white one), but instead they take a good portion of the upper right quad in the editor(thus overlapping many squares). This would lead me to believe that your repeater idea wouldn't do anything either, because already there should be more than ~10 black/white squares showing on the model...

The checkers obviously show up in the UV editor which is weird. Just not in viewport or render... basically they don't get applied to model?

My procedure was to first get the head off the body via seporation, then isolate just the right side of the head. After this I just planar mapped UVs, and they came out fine for a simple test. I then applied a blinn/lamb to the selected faces/object and then apply the checkers. The UV editor reflects all changes, both solid color when blinn is applied, then checkers when that is applied. Just no visible changes on the actual model.

Again, feel like I'm missing something stupid and mundane. I know it's not my software/setup because I can create any objects and apply textures no problem. Just this downloaded model... that's why I provided the link, maybe there's something in there that's holding me up that I haven't been educated about yet.

Thanks for the reply, and any further information is much appreciated!user added image

[Edit - Have added picture in initial post to clear confusion]

Last edited by ECCsimmons; 24-12-2011 at 12:07 AM.
# 4 24-12-2011 , 09:50 AM
The thin red line
If you post your file I will have a look at it...............dave

# 5 24-12-2011 , 05:28 PM
I've attached my ninja_mesh.zip file to my original post if you'd like to look at it. It's the same file as from the link provided, I just saved as new file and stripped out the rigging/bones because I was interested in the mesh at this point. Now that I think about it, I might have inadvertently stripped something I shouldn't have so I'm going back to check on that.

Thanks for the replies, and your time!

I've used quite a few Autodesk products and have never had a problem, as well as blender, but this is my first few weeks with MAYA so apologies again.It's just weird how I can create any shapes I want and texture them and do whatever inside MAYA, but when I open up this file and try the very same techniques they fail time and time again...

Last edited by ECCsimmons; 24-12-2011 at 05:30 PM.
# 6 24-12-2011 , 05:56 PM
The thin red line
Sorry but I cannot open your scene file, maya loads 89% then stops it could be a crupt file, try to delete history and rigged bodys..............dave

Edit:You could export as a obj file then open a new scene and import it back

Last edited by daverave; 24-12-2011 at 06:01 PM.
# 7 24-12-2011 , 06:21 PM
Can you download from the link provided in the first post? It's a direct link, and will give you a compression of two rigs... obviously the one called Ninja(?) is the one.

If you can, you could very easily use that as a reference for my problem as I think I started by trying to texture the original file without manipulating the rig. Then when that didn't work right away I saved a copy to manipulate anything I wanted.. this way I had a clean original file when I found the solution.

I'll try your OBJ solution though. Worth a shot at this point. Thank you!

Last edited by ECCsimmons; 24-12-2011 at 06:40 PM.
# 8 24-12-2011 , 06:24 PM
The thin red line
I can download it but not open it, the object idear should clean out all maya rubbish............dave

# 9 24-12-2011 , 06:40 PM
Got it to export/import OBJ, and yes it tells me it strips everything and makes one single mesh of it.. so I'm assuming I'll be able to work from this single mesh and separate, UV, and texture. Not going to try today as it's Xmas eve and very busy. Thank you for your feedback! Will post back in a few to let you know if that was the issue.

Happy Holidays!

[Edit] Spoke too soon! Wife went out to the store and I found myself at the monitor with the model open, so I just split the head off real quick and tried a spherical mapping... WORKED PERFECTLY right out of the box.

Thank you sooo much dave, that OBJ trick will prove to be most helpful in the future as well!user added image

Last edited by ECCsimmons; 24-12-2011 at 06:45 PM.