Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 26-02-2003 , 07:14 AM
Subscriber
Hah, well thank you silvia for that comment user added image. I am just saying that this is really good.. with the watermark over it, it takes away from the image, but i notice all the grass you have coming out of the side there, the lighting between the pillars and the stones in the floor... it is really nice user added image. Lol, that first lighting you showed that was super bright.. i was like.. AAAH. Hehehe, very sweet user added image.

You could harsh take out the alias wavefront watermark on a finished render btw. WIth photoshop its just a lenghtly procedure. If you dont mind for practice i may just try it out on your image in a section user added image. Alright, may post later tonight.. not 100% sure how its going to go though.. eliminating such a harsh watermark user added image. cya.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 17 26-02-2003 , 08:09 AM
I have tried a couple of times to remove the mark, even just the white one and leave the semi-transparent (better than nothing)
but had bad results. If you want to give it a try in a small section and let me know, if anything good comes out, how you did it, of course I would be happy!!! But don't sweat on it, ok?
Right now I am playing around with lights and settings, like turning up the ambient shade to bring out the details, and I like the results.
Thanks again dude, you are great!

Sy
# 18 26-02-2003 , 08:21 AM
Subscriber
Alright, one thing i can say, is you CAN remove the watermark.. its just time consuming. I will not complete this, but i will just show you what i have so far. This is by copying sections, and pasting them overtop in correct spots, and then lowering or upping the brightness and fiddling with opacity to get the previous look still in the image. BTW.. i suggest only using photoshop to take out a watermark. I ended on the roof of the building..as you can see it does not look real.. just grab colors from around the area with the water dropper tool and use the differnt paintbrushes to make it flawless... like i said it just takes time.. and as for the background... its super easy.... just put your image on a higher layer.. then erase out all of the sky, out of the pillars and everything.. then paste your original sky image on the layer below it.. and position, and fool with brightness, blur and stuff like that, and you just saved yourself a lot of time user added image. So yea, takes some thought on how to do it, some painting and just some work.. dont do it from one side to the other, instead.. do it in certain spots.. so i kinda jumped around the whole thing a little bit for a few minutes. user added image. For the pillars, i copied part of a pillar, between the black shadows.... then copy, and paste over the lower part, you can kinda see that effect on the bottom left pillar. As for the soil or whatnot, grab tons of differnt colors from around the area, and just splatter with the paint tool. Alright, cya. Heheh, as you can tell, its not easy.. but will give you a finished image that you are really proud of user added image.

Last edited by M; 26-02-2003 at 08:23 AM.
# 19 26-02-2003 , 08:59 AM
Subscriber
how about e.g. making a lot of different renderings, were you move the parts that are covered with watermarks, to parts were there is no watermarks... and then put it all together at last... user added image

regards

Strarup

# 20 26-02-2003 , 09:14 AM
Kevin
lol you guys are great! nice work strarup

you have listened to advice well , I remember when i first see this image in wips and people gave you advise....you have used that advice nicley

well done mate

# 21 26-02-2003 , 03:54 PM
Subscriber
Strarup.. the one problem with this, is that the watermark always goes back on in the exact same place.. i was thinking that too though and thought to say it.. hehe. And if you changed angles then you would get different lighting.. Actually, if you took 1 render in the exact front viewport, then panned that camera all over the place and took tons of renders.. is that what you meant strarup? Because i dont think it would work any other way.. but if it does,then thats by far the easiest way! Good thinking strarup user added image.

# 22 26-02-2003 , 10:20 PM
Suppose the camera now is looking down the z-axis, and I just change the camera's x position, would that change the lighting?
The shadows are not ray traced so i wonder...

Ehy Kevin, not to be a pain, but that's my image, not strarup's, who could get offended if people thought he did that piece of amateur work!!!!! But thanks for the compliments: you bet I listen to advices, I am probably the most ignorant person about Maya around here, and I need all the advice I can get.

Sy
# 23 26-02-2003 , 11:40 PM
heh.. well, first of all, you didnt have to post a second pic. you could have gone back and editied the post to include the right pic. but oh well. user added image

One thing you have to get used to if you're going to work in the field of 3D modeling is that not all of your work will be seen all the time. You may spend hours, days, even weeks on a single model yet it might appear in a shot for only 2 seconds. woop! Of course, its not all bad that you are detail oriented. Im the same way. But it is impossible to light a scene and have it show all the minute details you put into it without bleaching the scene with light.

So, if you want to show detail, then don't post a fully rendered shot like that. Simply render your model, no texture, flat shaded with a basic 3 point light setup. Or, if you're into GI, then that is even better. But for the shot you have here, I would like to see it properly lit for realism and then have to look carefully at it to realize the detail in it. Kinda like this...

user added image

But to be brutally honest, I cant look at it very long because of that gawd awful ALIAS WAVEFRONT watermark. ARRGH! Gotta love MAYA PLE, dontcha? user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu

Last edited by dave_baer; 26-02-2003 at 11:44 PM.
# 24 27-02-2003 , 12:19 AM
Subscriber
Silvia palara, if you actually rotate the camera in any which way you will get different lighting.. if you move the camera over, without touching its angles.. then there should be no problem.. but im not sure.

# 25 27-02-2003 , 01:10 AM
Ok I should have changed the crappy one by editing, but I was so tired...
Dave, I appreciate your comment on being realistic on the amount of detail that goes in the images and you are right if it is part of an animation, but these are stills, and it gives you the time to see all the little things that don't work. Of course, the longer you look the more that Maya logo pierces your retina...

And also every project I do gives me the opportunity to explore different Maya features. Like this project was really good for me
to learn about different types of lights and their settings. And I
really wanted to see if I could match the light of an existing photo
with my CG stuff in some half-decent way.

PS: did you post that ILM model just to make me cry???? user added image
YOU ARE GOOD!

Sy