Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 21-09-2003 , 10:11 PM
Subscriber

Architectural Exterior - Train Station

This is a fantasy work and I plan on working a lot on this one as I have lots of ideas on what objects to add (phone booth, loudspeakers, information-board, Trash cans , etc,)

The background is somewhere in Europe and the station itself will probably change as I advance.

I do not intend on showing a train as I like deserted places or in this case a "waiting for a train" ambience which I find somewhat thrilling.

Hope you like and please comment and suggest.

I just bought the 3D Total Textures collection so I plan on playing with it alot.

Nir

Attached Thumbnails

Nir Sullam
Architectural Visualizations Page: www.orvatsel.com/index2.html
Maya Page: www.orvatsel.com/maya
www.nirsullam.com

Last edited by nirsul; 21-09-2003 at 10:14 PM.
# 2 21-09-2003 , 10:52 PM
kick ass work bro.

# 3 24-09-2003 , 12:23 AM
Subscriber

Nir Sullam
www.nirsullam.com
# 4 25-09-2003 , 10:49 PM
Subscriber
Updated image not all elements have textures and many objects are still to come, I like the BG image .

Attached Thumbnails

Nir Sullam
www.nirsullam.com
# 5 25-09-2003 , 11:31 PM
I'd reduce the overall contrast. You got pretty hard lights going on there. Otherwise it's coming along nice...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 6 26-09-2003 , 03:25 AM
Subscriber
the texture on the benches looks cool - i like the brown ones better though than the white ones. and i like the brick on the left building better then the rusty metal thing. also the scale of the rusty metal (or so it looks like) on both buildings is off - they look like miniature things. oh and the background is a bit blurry, makes the transition from 3d to background on the right a bit hard. how it blends in to the water looks nice, but not how the stone ground blends into the trees. maybe some dof in the final shot?

# 7 26-09-2003 , 11:28 AM
Subscriber
BabyDuck and KBrown

I just saw your comments - so they are not taken into account in this image -

The oily ground was done using the Burn/Dodge Combo

The semi-dry grass in the foreground was cloned from another image and I applied dodge-burn on that , too and then motion blurred it upward and sharpened and blended as pinlight.

BTW - Does the pickup too big for the scene ? I am not so sure it fits.

Niruser added image

Attached Thumbnails

Nir Sullam
www.nirsullam.com

Last edited by nirsul; 26-09-2003 at 11:33 AM.
# 8 26-09-2003 , 08:10 PM
Subscriber
I will now proceed to tear apart you're image, don't mind me.

1) It looks as if this part of the stairs needs to be supported, or it might fall over.
2) This railing appears too red. A few was to make it more beleiveable would be to make it rusty, dirty, or just a little less saturated in colour.
3) It looks to me as if the ralrod tracks are perfecctly clean on top. I've never seen a perfectly clean railroad track ever, also the part of the waiting platform looks dirty (and only minorly) in just a few small areas.
4) I would make the whole waiting platform a little darker, for it appears a little to white fore my tastes, and i DEFINATELY think it should not be reflective, as it clearly is.
5) These rocks look severly painted, i can tell you why, but i'm not sure the best way to fix it: The colour of the rocks does vary, but not as it should, the colour should be random rock to rock, instead there are PATCHES of dark, and light as if they were painted that way. A similar thing going on with the dirt, but its not as bad.

Just trying to help, if you disagree in any area, just ignore me. BTW I only take lots of time on crits, where i can see someone has put alot of work into a project. And if i had put that much work into it, i would appreciate the same amount of thought on you're part, on my own work. Thanx and keep it up.

Attached Thumbnails

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 9 26-09-2003 , 10:15 PM
Subscriber
Jesus...

Life is lived forward but only understood backward
# 10 27-09-2003 , 08:45 PM
Subscriber
Hey Vectorman

Thanks for the crits - they are well worth listening to and the reason I haven't replied so far - I was in my mother's house for Rosh Hashana Holyday - just got back - put the kids to sleep and on to my PC:

Most of the remarks are correct.

The gravel texture beneath the tracks is the least crit I was expecting because I used a very good texture and instead of bump map I DISPLACED it ! if you take a closer look you will see that the little stones between the woods actuallt hide some of it.

the dark areas are not the color of the rocks but oil stains that may (in real life) pour on areas of rocks and not rock by rock.

The colors and textures are not necessary the final I ones I will use - I still am not sure what kind of ambeince I want for it - it is alway nice having a deserted sense for it but I am still testing materials.

Regarding the upper part of the tracks - They are indeed very clean - if you look at real ones you will see that the upper part (only where a train passes it each day) will have a non-rusted color to them because the train "cleans" it - I have look at many related images on the web for that..

issue 4 - is only a matter of taste - i watched hundreds of images of platforms and each has a distinct texture.

I only take lots of time on crits, where i can see someone has put alot of work into a project.

Thanks !

Nir

Nir Sullam
www.nirsullam.com
# 11 28-09-2003 , 01:04 AM
Subscriber
ok here is the current image:

Please comment the matte mountain

Attached Thumbnails

Nir Sullam
www.nirsullam.com

Last edited by nirsul; 28-09-2003 at 01:19 AM.
# 12 28-09-2003 , 05:46 PM
Subscriber
Final Image Candidtae - Comments

Nir

Attached Thumbnails

Nir Sullam
www.nirsullam.com

Last edited by nirsul; 28-09-2003 at 09:48 PM.
# 13 28-09-2003 , 05:48 PM
Subscriber
and just enjoying the station in a totally different environment:

Attached Thumbnails

Nir Sullam
www.nirsullam.com

Last edited by nirsul; 28-09-2003 at 09:50 PM.
# 14 28-09-2003 , 11:37 PM
Looks awesome man!

thats quite amazing how just the change of a backdrop can alter the whole feel of the image. great work!