Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 03-07-2012 , 08:08 PM

Why doesn't my Cube has any CVs?

user added image

I've recently began to learn the basics in Maya's texturing.
When I create a basic Cube, there is no default UVs. When I watch other people tutorials, their UVs are automatically there and ready.
I can auto map the cube but it then becomes more difficult when applying textures to it.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

# 2 03-07-2012 , 08:49 PM
Lifetime Member
When need to select the "Create UVs" in the polygon create settings. To get to the settings go Create->Polygon Primitives and click on the little square next to the one you want to create. Or, you can double click on the tool icon on the left.

Attached Thumbnails

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 3 03-07-2012 , 08:59 PM
Thank you so much! Thats brilliant, now I can finally continue learning the basics!

# 4 03-07-2012 , 09:00 PM
PixalZA is correct. I was about to respond. That setting should be turned on by default so that implies you have somehow managed to turn it off. What else have you turned off or on?

Be mindful of arbitrarily pressing buttons in maya there are lots of hotkeys and it is really easy to flip things on and off that will quickly drive you to insanity trying to figure out how to undo!

If you ever have a situation like this the first thing to do is rename (do not delete, just rename your maya folder) - be sure to close maya first.

Then reopen Maya this will reset all the default preference settings. See if this fixes your problem then decide is it easier to figure out what hotkey you pressed and fix it or just start from a fresh prefs.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 03-07-2012 at 10:15 PM.