Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 27-01-2003 , 12:50 AM

My boat is sinking!!!

Howdy folks! I just found this forum and figured this might be the place to start.

I'm working with the Maya Fundamentals 4.5 book and just finished my first animation in chapter 4. (Woo Hoo!) It is a simple animation of a boat traveling across a lake with islands and small waves.

Anyway, I understand the book is just giving a basic idea and is not to discriptive, but when I play my animation, there is water in the boat!

Any part of the boat's inside that is below the water plane has water in it.

Could someone please tell me what I did wrong?

Or do I need to animate a bucket to bail it out? :p

Thanks for any help!

# 2 27-01-2003 , 02:36 AM
um. now I would just delet the area of water in the boat. But that is probably wrong. Try making your boat a cloision object.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 3 27-01-2003 , 11:47 AM
Subscriber
I have the book "Maya Fundamentals 4", and it also has a tut about a boat going on a lake between some islands.

I dont think the tut deals with the water plane being visible inside your boat.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 4 27-01-2003 , 01:58 PM
I'm sure it is the same tutorial in the 4.5 book that's in the 4.0 book. You're correct the book does not deal with the water plane being visible inside the boat.

I was just wondering if there was a quick fix for the water plane issue. I'm assuming the book will cover the issue in a later chapter, I'm just impatient.

Would making the boat a collision object solve this as Ultragames suggested?

Thanks for the help guys.

# 5 27-01-2003 , 02:06 PM

Originally posted by hakushi
Would making the boat a collision object solve this as Ultragames suggested?

Don't think so. I do not know the tutorial you're referring but one workaround could be to render the boat and the lake separately and then composite them masking out the water in the boat.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 6 27-01-2003 , 04:23 PM
I think what you're missing is that you have to adjust the pivot point of boat in the y-axis. Select the translate tool (w), hit the insert key to edit the pivot and move it so the boat rises up out of the water a bit (leave it submerged a little like a real boat would be). Hit insert again to edit pivot mode. They mention this issue in Maya Fundamentals 4.0.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."

Last edited by NitroLiq; 27-01-2003 at 04:35 PM.
# 7 27-01-2003 , 04:26 PM
Subscriber
try adjusting the camera.... trick the viewer out... the old movie magic!!!

# 8 27-01-2003 , 07:24 PM
Nitro, I did raise the pivot point as stated in the book. If you raise it high enough it will "empty" the inside of the boat. But if the boat is more than 1/3 submerged, the water fills the inside again.

I guess my question should be how would you control a plane's interaction with an object?

For example, say you create a NURBS water plane forming a small lake. Then you made a NURBS ground plane 1-2 units below the water plane. Using the Sculpt Sufaces Tool, you then pull a ring shaped island from the ground plane up through the water plane.

Doing that will give you a lake with a ringed shaped island with water on the inside and outside of the ring.

How can you keep the water plane from filling the inside of the island?

Or in my case filling the inside of a moving object, like a boat?

I hope this clears up what I'm trying to do.

# 9 27-01-2003 , 07:53 PM
If it's not the pivot point, then you need to play with how the camera sits in the boat when you first place it, finding the sweet spot. Try translating/rotating it up or down and towards the front of the boat so it only sees the bow; it may be too low or too far back or pointing towards the inside of the boat too much which is showing the water as the boat hit's the turbulance from the water. The tutorial doesn't deal with collision objects so the water WILL come through the boat...that's the way it is...you just have to aim the camera in a way that it doesn't show.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."

Last edited by NitroLiq; 27-01-2003 at 08:02 PM.