Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 25-11-2012 , 01:07 PM

Mental Ray Default Lights?

Hi everyone, I've a simple question and sorry if it was asked earlier.

How do I switch back to Mental ray's default light after other lights has been setup?

I need to check textures frequently and rendering with all lights is expensive. I tried creating a new render layer with no lights but no good.(which by the way used to work with Maya software)
Exporting the lights and deleting them afterwards works but I loose my light linkings. So still no good.

Please share your workflow methods on approach to lighting and texturing a scene. I'm still a noob.

# 2 25-11-2012 , 06:10 PM
The thin red line
You need good lighting to check the textures, what you can do is use "render regions" to re-render only the parts of the render that the texture is on...............dave

# 3 25-11-2012 , 06:32 PM

You need good lighting to check the textures, what you can do is use "render regions" to re-render only the parts of the render that the texture is on...............dave

Thanks Dave, but at times I want just the default light to work along with other lights. Could you tell me how the default light is linked to the camera initially and how I can recreate it? I just know there's a directional lightuser added image.

# 4 25-11-2012 , 06:56 PM
The thin red line
I would group all your light then just hide them or put them in a layer and just create a direction light as your default..................dave

# 5 26-11-2012 , 02:08 AM

I would group all your light then just hide them or put them in a layer and just create a direction light as your default..................dave

But it won't move with the camera as it does for the default light initially.

# 6 26-11-2012 , 05:51 AM
Technical Director

But it won't move with the camera as it does for the default light initially.

Parent it to your camera.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 7 26-11-2012 , 04:49 PM

Parent it to your camera.

Yup managed to get it working by parenting it. Thanks.user added image