Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 02-08-2005 , 07:46 PM

processing speed...

Hi

I have made a 30 second long animation that includes a douzaine of emitters on top of the normal animation. My prblem is that it takes a VERY long time to play it and after a while, particles start shooting all over the place (even though it's not supoose to). I really need to reduce this processing time ...

Either way, I think my problem is that there are a lot of unnecessary instored by maya, so I was wondering if you guys/girls could give me pointers on how to delete unneeded information (such as edit --> delete all by types --> static chanels) and other forms of methods to overcome this problem.

Thank you very much,
Alex

# 2 02-08-2005 , 08:22 PM
get a faster computer? lol

# 3 02-08-2005 , 08:59 PM
Dear Billy_Cat,

I got a 2.4GHz Intel M with 736Mb of RAM running at 1.4 GHZ along with ATI Graphics. Do you think that's not good enough?!

As a senior member, I would appreciate your constructive comments more.

# 4 02-08-2005 , 09:04 PM
Location: Where do u think I am right now? Alright, I'll tell y' all... I'm at Gnomon Workshop and Highend3d sites...Hehehehe...just kiddin':)!!!!Oh, I'm not a ego member anymore? Cool!!!! I'm a Senior Member now!!!!
That is ridiculous, but maybe u can borrow one of those huge computers from NASA...user added image

Talkin' serious, u should delete some of the emmiters. That will save u lots of time.

Anyone here plays Tibia?

Add me to your MSN list

Tibia is the best MMORPG that i've ever seen...xD
# 5 03-08-2005 , 10:38 PM
Its all relative -- if you have hardware renderred particles on a GeForce emitting 10,000+ particles per second, with multiple emitters, and 32x multisampling you're going to get issues.

Regardless -- there are a few things you can do. If you particles are not software (should be either Cloud, Blobby, or Tubes -- and have a (S/W) beside it) and you're running a GeForce... you either need to switch to a software-compatible emitter, take the lack of stability/quality/speed -- or softmod to a Quadro. (Or radeon to a FireGL)

Turn down the multisampling or use a more optimized format. That's all videocard drivers most likely... unless its software -- in which case you may need to get more RAM (or just wait)

Cut down on the realtime previews... do the minimal necessary to see your dynamics at a certain frame -- then testrender... clear... and do again if necessary. Better yet -- playblast and come back when Windows Media Player comes on.

You get the idea -- do whats necessary -- go overboard if you don't mind waiting... cut back if you need to do it quicker.

# 6 05-08-2005 , 02:10 PM
Thank you guys for your help!