Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 24-08-2005 , 08:31 PM

Booleans (Union)

Hello,

I know I posted in the other topic, but I decided that it would probably be best to create my own topic. I am using Lynda's tutorials, and am at the robot modeling section.

Basically, a curve is used to revolve into a surface (the body). A loft between two curves is used to create a rectangle-shaped surface. This is placed in the body where the mouth needs to go (before this you also create the eyes). You are supposed to go to Edit NURBs -> Booleans -> Union Tool, select the body, hit enter, select the mouth, and hit enter. However, I get an error when I do that.

I have tried re-creating the lofted box and doing the boolean at least 10 times (not exaggerated), but I just can't get it to work! This what is shown in the script editor (relevant to this issue):

select -r |Body ;
select -tgl loftedSurface1 ;
{ string $Selection1[]; $Selection1[0] = "LidShape"; $Selection1[1] = "Gasket1Shape"; $Selection1[2] = "BodyShape"; $Selection1[3] = "EyeShape2"; $Selection1[4] = "EyeSocketShape2"; $Selection1[5] = "EyeGasketShape2"; $Selection1[6] = "EyeShape1"; $Selection1[7] = "EyeSocketShape1"; $Selection1[8] = "EyeGasketShape1";
string $Selection2[]; $Selection2[0] = "LidShape"; $Selection2[1] = "Gasket1Shape"; $Selection2[2] = "BodyShape"; $Selection2[3] = "EyeShape2"; $Selection2[4] = "EyeSocketShape2"; $Selection2[5] = "EyeGasketShape2"; $Selection2[6] = "EyeShape1"; $Selection2[7] = "EyeSocketShape1"; $Selection2[8] = "EyeGasketShape1"; $Selection2[9] = "loftedSurfaceShape1";
performBoolean 0 0 $Selection1 `currentCtx`; };
nurbsBoolean -ch 0 -nsf 9 -op 0 Lid Gasket1 |Body|Body Eye2 EyeSocket2 EyeGasket2 Eye1 EyeSocket1 EyeGasket1 loftedSurface1 ;
// Error: stitchAsNurbsShell1 (Stitch As Nurbs Shell Node): Stitch as NURBS shell failed. The following input surfaces failed to stitch: |Body|Gasket1|Gasket1Shape |Body|Eyes|EyeLeft|Eye2|EyeShape2 |Body|Eyes|EyeLeft|EyeSocket2|EyeSocketShape2 |Body|Eyes|EyeLeft|EyeGasket2|EyeGasketShape2 |Body|Eyes|EyeRight|Eye1|EyeShape1 |Body|Eyes|EyeRight|EyeSocket1|EyeSocketShape1 |Body|Eyes|EyeRight|EyeGasket1|EyeGasketShape1 //
// Error: boolean1 (Boolean Node): Input shell A is empty. //
// Error: explodeNurbsShell1 (Explode Nurbs Shell Node): Not a valid NURBS shell. //
// Error: Command nurbsBoolean failed. Open Script Editor for details. //

I have everything in a group named "Body" (it didn't work before I created the group, so no need to suggest that).

I really want to move on, so I would appreciate a timely response. Thank you! user added image

# 2 24-08-2005 , 10:40 PM
Image of the inside of the character...

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 24-08-2005 , 10:42 PM
And outside...

(Remember we are trying to perform a Boolean Union between the body -- egg shape -- and the mouth -- the little rectangle.)

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 24-08-2005 , 10:49 PM
Just a little update....

Note that even if I turn the "hierarchy selection" option off for the Union tool, it still returns an error (hence only the body would be selected, not everything in the group):

select -r |Body|Body ;
select -tgl MouthShape ;
{ string $Selection1[]; $Selection1[0] = "BodyShape";
string $Selection2[]; $Selection2[0] = "BodyShape"; $Selection2[1] = "MouthShapeShape";
performBoolean 0 0 $Selection1 `currentCtx`; };
nurbsBoolean -ch 0 -nsf 1 -op 0 |Body|Body MouthShape ;
// Error: boolean1 (Boolean Node): NURBS shell union failed. //
// Error: explodeNurbsShell1 (Explode Nurbs Shell Node): Not a valid NURBS shell. //
// Error: Command nurbsBoolean failed. Open Script Editor for details. //

Again, any help would greatly be appreciated! I have tried searching the forums and Google. Problems with the Boolean tool seem to be commonplace, and I have read the most common reasons why the boolean tool fails, but I still haven't figured out what the source of my issue could be.

# 5 25-08-2005 , 12:01 AM
Subscriber
You need to use a "closed" surface, in your case a 6 sidebox vice the 4-side shape you're trying to use now.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 6 25-08-2005 , 12:21 AM

Originally posted by mhcannon
You need to use a "closed" surface, in your case a 6 sidebox vice the 4-side shape you're trying to use now.

Eh, I spent forever trying to figure out the problem. :headbang: But yeah, that did it. Thanks a lot!

PS: I did not create a full box because in the tutorials he just created the 4-sides and it worked. Strange...might be a version difference though.