Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 10-04-2006 , 09:35 PM

Displacement Map Question

Whenever I use on of these bad mamajammas, It's never clean cut for card edges. There are always annoying bits cut out of these edges... you guys probably know what I mean.

How do I get around this?

# 2 10-04-2006 , 10:52 PM
maybe if you post an image that would help others understand your problem a bit better. I haven't done any displacement maps, but I think it might be how you are painting the edges of your displacement maps. Sorry if I am way off the mark...

# 3 11-04-2006 , 12:47 AM
The edges of the displacement map are all hard edges.

# 4 11-04-2006 , 05:47 PM
You could convert to polygons (displacementToPoly I believe) and manually polySoftEdge -a 180 'em.

# 5 15-04-2006 , 03:18 PM
Subscriber
It's difficult to fix your problem with such little info, but... i beleive you are experiencing a texture resolution problem with your displacement map. Multiple things can cause this. Low resolution maps, Not setting yout tesselation correctly, Using maya to displace for mental ray and so on. Please post a picture or the file so we can better help you.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>