Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 09-03-2006 , 11:03 AM

Extruding faces BIG problem

Hi everybody !

I am working now on the yeti project and I have problem in part 2 in Disc 1 when I need to extrude faces to do the fist of the yeti.

When I am exturding everything is OK but when I smooth my polygon the fingers of the Yeti split to two parts just the extruded polygons to this problem .

Please help me !

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 30-04-2006 , 08:02 PM
Subscriber
cant see the image. try reposting it smaller.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 3 08-05-2006 , 04:08 AM
Subscriber
Hi.. Im pretty sure i know what your problem is, but without seeing the picture who knows..

go to wire frame mode, and look closely at your extrusions. You will probaly find that with the extrudes it has created faces inside of the extrusion. Del these faces then redo the smooth poly..

There's nothing normal about normals. In FACT i think the are abnormal.
# 4 14-05-2006 , 06:34 AM
Hi there...Same as what Antiant said.....if not that, it could be that if your extruding more than one face at a time to make the fingers, make sure that you have turned on the option for "keep faces together"....its under "polygons > tool options > keep faces together"

# 5 14-05-2006 , 07:38 AM
I looked at your other post which was the same as this one...and you were told about the keep faces together option that has to be on.

If you dont want to have to recreate the fingers from scratch, you'll have to:

1) delete the inside faces

2)select the vertices in the hand (can select them all at once, just make sure the Merger Vertices options are set to default) and merge the vertices