Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 61 03-08-2006 , 01:06 AM
Subscriber
more of the same Matt, no shadows ( might be better backlite if you dont want shadows,), windows need a few holes (broken, ) as Matt said just a few blades of grass that show that survival is difficult here, the over all look is a cut out because there is no gaussian or the lines are too harsh on the pump, there are no lines in the 'real' world, only shades, the tree might do with very minimal highlights, or just a creeper feel in general, boards on the houses too new (no holes or cracks, remeber those immortal words of mikes in one of his free tuts, the dirtier it looks the more real) ) the door might hang more, whats that bright spot on the house to the left, a highlight ??What ever it is it makes the house visable, the ground doesnt know if it is sand or cracked earth (it is the only thing with shadows but according to the highlights on the pump and bucket the shadows come from the wrong direction but i think you may have hand painted this and in that case it is incredible work)) ) bucket is floating on the ground, maybe it could be dug in ever so fractionally , cant see the bike can you backlight it somehow (themeatically it is very important) or maybe just a subtle shade (or lighten the wood with a highlight, , i love the how the lines of symettry piont toward the city, maybe you could give it a little more forced perspective, have you thought about the rule of thirds or did this come naturally, the main thing is the pump looks flat and cut out. the highlights are too strong for such an overcast or smoggy day (the windows look perfect and the bucket needs them left as they are to stand out from the scene.., as does the hand)

whats the theme and how can you show that more with a couple of simple changes,, dead grass, (dead person) flat tire on the bike??is the ball a little new?? take the theme a little further if you can. check the framing, sits well with you..?? fine!

fantasic colour combination. very warm, i wonder what it would look like with cold colours?? has a very apocaliptic look at the moment, rather than a nuclear winter.

overall it is incredible.

remeber, all this is just an opinion and not to be considered at all unless you agree, just food to make you think and contend with in your own way. remember; if one person says something take it with a pinch of salt, two say something.., just maybe there is something to it, if three say something than best go back and check it out user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 62 03-08-2006 , 11:47 AM
Subscriber
Thanks mirek,

Many things to have a think about there, some of which should be easy, others could cause a few problems but I'll muddle through!!

I've used one of the ground images from the site that NeoStrider suggested to make the new ground shader. I tiled the 512x512 image into a 1024x1024, removed as much repetition as possible with photoshop's healing brush then tiled again at 2048x2048 and did the same.

In Maya I applied the image to a lambert shader and repeated it 20x20 and put an offset of 30% U and 60% V to make it less repetetive again. I also made a bump map from a desaturated version of the ground image.

Once the other objects are in the scene what little repetition there is in the pattern is not visible.

Thanks again NeoStrider for pointing me in the direction of that site.

Mat.

Edit: I forgot to mention that 'A History of Violence' is very different to the comic, a bit of a let down in that respect but quite good none the less.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by happymat27; 03-08-2006 at 12:32 PM.
# 63 03-08-2006 , 07:06 PM
Subscriber
Here we go, last one for the day....

I've broken the tricycle, rotated the pump a little, smashed a window (I need to get a dirty look to the glass next!!), moved and adjusted the lights, moved the ball and adjusted a lot of the shaders.

The changes I've made are, seperately, very small but I think that together they make quite a difference. I still have a long way to go before I'm going to be happy with this, shadows are causing me no end of bother, but I'll have it done before the deadline!!

This is a better quality render, what are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 64 03-08-2006 , 07:25 PM
Nice one matt, looks really great!

Last edited by gster123; 04-08-2006 at 07:02 AM.
# 65 03-08-2006 , 08:55 PM
that ground looks absolutely fantastic! glad i could help on the search.

Accept no substitutions.
# 66 04-08-2006 , 07:17 AM
Subscriber
NeoStrider, thanks. It really wasn't that difficult once I started and I quite got into removing the textures repetition in photoshop, it would have been so much easier if my wacom didn't get fried when my old computer died though!!!

Mat.

# 67 04-08-2006 , 07:25 AM
Hey matt

One thing that, to me, sticks out (sorry about the pun) is the tree at the back, it looks a bit to "Square" rarther than rounded and also looks like it might be still alive, but in winter, so to speak.

Maybe add some decay to it, broken limbs, bit of rot etc???

Also I think that a nice bit of DOF would really bring out the pump as the main focus, but you would might have to be carefull not to loose some of the details in the rest of the scene.

Cheers

# 68 04-08-2006 , 08:29 AM
Subscriber
Thanks gster,

I'm going to deal with the tree pretty soon, hopefully it'll look alot more depressed afterwards. I decided to try stressing the Depth Of Field a bit after I read your previous post before you edited it, I'm glad you pointed it out again, thanks.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 69 04-08-2006 , 10:09 AM
No probs Matt, I noticed that you had blurred the background and though that I might have been talking a load of rubbish!! LOL

# 70 04-08-2006 , 06:41 PM
hey matt - this just keeps getting better and better. The only thing that I might change, is to move the ball just a tad so that it's edge does not sit on the edge of the bucket. And I might also just give the tricycle a bit more prominence, but really that's just me nit picking. good work mate!

# 71 04-08-2006 , 06:56 PM
just to throw in my two cents about the ball and bucket, i think that obscuring the ball a little more just to crop it off a little would be more interesting than letting it sit out away from the bucket. it creates a better silhouette shape, which creates a more dynamic image... but then again that's just silly art composition classes talking user added image

Accept no substitutions.
# 72 05-08-2006 , 01:25 AM
Subscriber
when it comes to art, leave no stone unturned, nitpicking and silly art class composition is very important. its the detail that people feel rather than see that will make or beak a good picture into a better one, as you guys know. two cents can be made to grow, take care of the cents and the dollars take care of themselves.

get back to you soon matt, im in a vets hopital in the middle of the bosnain war zone at the moment, with a dalmation and human slaughter happening outside the vets establishment lol (a script)

give me a couple of hours...

# 73 05-08-2006 , 06:50 AM
Subscriber
im not at all good in PS and i've mangeled your picure

PAVING SLABS, now I know the confusion, I thought they were the grass. I’d kill them off. They take too much of the area of interest both visually and thematically. Just a few blades of grass trying to survive in that area is what I would do. Id get rid of the slabs, have a few more blades around the posts because tat is where the shade and moisture would be and so there would be more chance of survival. Forget trying to do a single render and get something creepy happening in PS for that tree. It needs to hang and look likes a claw. Id move the bucket, not the ball, to the right as there is some space there and the ball would be well framed. This would help the over all lines of symmetry and perspective.

And those nice highlights aren’t on the antenna anymore??

sorry about the rape of your work

dont forget the fog, needs to be just right and if that sounds vague i did it on purpose

Last edited by mirek03; 05-08-2006 at 02:06 PM.
# 74 05-08-2006 , 09:45 AM
Subscriber
Plenty of food for thought there,

Where to start.....

That's a hatchet job and a half you've done there mirek!! The tree is in hand, it should be done by this afternoon. The ball and bucket.... It's just a case of moving them around until I'm happy with the outcome, so no probs there. When I moved the main light the highlights on the aerial were lost, it'll be no bother to get them back but being as the light source has moved should they still exist? I'm not really sure about the paving slabs, I'll have a play with them and see where it leads me but I rather like them as they are.

arran, I'm happy with where the tricycle is, I think that if I made it any more prominent the picture would become too much about it. I've added a new low intensity light to the scene now which makes things a little more visible, hopefully, in your eyes, it will have the required effect.

I've attached a render to show the new light, I've moved the bucket for this test and quite like the result, I've got plenty of time to get that right though. I'm going to focus on perfecting the tree right now, I'll have an update shortly.

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 75 05-08-2006 , 09:57 AM
Subscriber
glad you not upset at my hatchet job mate, it was just a quick ten minutes i could spare anf thought it mght be easier than 'talking.'

cheers mate (Im still in the war)