Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 01-10-2006 , 02:21 PM

The gap between the duplicated pieces

Hi everybody, I'm newbie in Maya. I'm modelling a character while I just find a problem and have no idea how to do it properly.

Like everybody does, I modelled the polygon on one side, but there's a gap between the duplicated side and the original side. The worse thing happens when I use sculpting tool try to smooth it out, the gap becomes bigger or distorted and screw it up. I don't know how to sow it up without combining the two sides together, which will make them not an instance to each other then they won't change simultaneously when I modify them later. So is there a way to kinda snap the two side together and let me use sculpting tool safely?

Thanks in advance.

# 2 01-10-2006 , 03:46 PM
Senior Software Developer
As far as I am aware the Poly Scuplting Tool will always see them as seperate geometry. Therefore you wont be able to get rid of the problem unless you combine them together and merge the vertices, thus creating a new peice of geometry. This is not what you want to do so you are pretty stuck.

Can you put in a screenshot of whats going on and give some info on what ur trying to acheive so other may have a suggestion or tip on working round this issue.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 01-10-2006 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber
if i understand you correctly ..I would pick all vertices that are close to the center line. .... then click the move tool and then hold x down ..to snap and move the arrow to the middle line .... then they should all line up ..... then duplicate ....if you dont understand just post back .

# 4 01-10-2006 , 05:39 PM
That should work, but make sure your move tool is in World coordinates mode. Otherwise all of the vertices will snap to the same exact location.

# 5 02-10-2006 , 02:44 AM
Senior Software Developer
OK these will work, but you will still get the same issue when u use the poly sculpt tool

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)