Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 31 31-10-2006 , 08:22 AM
Subscriber
hey, great work looks really good...
i was just wondering, if you could post your references pictures..
cheers

# 32 03-11-2006 , 06:30 AM
nice going bruce, its come on a heck of a long way since I last saw it user added image
Still not 100% sure about the back of the head behind the ear, I might have thought it would have some definition of some kind there - then again if she's getting hair it wont be seen user added image

keep up the good work and tweaking - is it experiment with skin methods soon?

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 33 03-11-2006 , 09:16 AM

SKIN!! .... eek!! ... yes!!

Yes, she will have hair, (yet another one of the learning curves) i have been looking at a mates head of late and thinking i might try to do his head as he has no hair, i was looking at the back of his head ... very interesting (am i just running away from hair, ... posibly)
I have got Dr Julien's realistic skin and stuff and read a few others to boot but i figure that may be as big a task as modeling has become.
Tho' before i go there I still have to work out how to get the skin off. I have been giving that little hurdle a nudge lately... I have found "UV Mapper" poked it a bit, seems to be ok, clearly tho' I dont know what i am doing
as to your request "marlonjohn" yes i will dig it up tonight and post it ... sorry about slow responce time work is getting a little buzy with our XMas comming up ... (no lead times and everything needs to be done yesterday, you know Im sure)

"Climbing the walls of the 'Uncanny Valley"
# 34 03-11-2006 , 03:16 PM

oops i have encountered another problem got me stumped

it seems that i have the mesh doubled up i converted to subs but when i undid it it seems to be carrying the sub still and i cant get rid of it any sugestions ... i do have a previous save but i had done a fair bit of work to this one

Attached Thumbnails

# 35 03-11-2006 , 03:24 PM

refference as promised

well well i had not looked at this for a while i do have a lot of tweeking yet to do dont i

Attached Images

# 36 05-11-2006 , 12:20 AM
i think you can round off the outer edges of the nostrils a little and give the end of the nose a slightly more bulbous look (if you're matching the refs that is) user added image
I've not used subD's so cant help you with the mesh problem though user added image

oh and uv'ing initially can seem a pain but persevere and it gets quite therapeutic after the modelling user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 37 09-12-2006 , 05:41 PM

thought i had best post this

Just to satisfy any curiocity ... i have discovered that edge loops are very important and that you just cant fudge them ... get them right or just go home ... so i will be returning to this model either when i own a copy of SILO or after i figure out how to re draw the geometry otherwise i am starting again ...but here is where i got to

Attached Thumbnails

# 38 10-12-2006 , 02:05 AM

Never say Never

I was looking over Dr Julian Tut today and saw a section where he deleted a large section of edges and re drew them where he wanted them, so i have revisited the diana model and started to repair the edge loops i wounder weather i still need the loop runnig off under the eye and down under the chin or not but here it is ... oh and thanks for the tip about hard and soft normals it is great no more poly smooth for me user added image ... so what do you think

Attached Thumbnails

# 39 10-12-2006 , 04:25 AM
Wow, you've come quite a ways in such a short period of time. I'm impressed with the look you've achieved, comparing your first image to this last one. I think the fact that you are/were a 2D Artist to begin with, giving you that 'Artistic Eye' when you look at things, has helped you out quite a bit. Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to see some updates!

Eric Tacti
3D Artist
# 40 11-12-2006 , 12:43 AM

just an update

Since i decided to fix the loops a little higher on the cheeks as well.
Now the the neck muscles are bugging me they are too far forward at the top ... and, now that i finaly look at it, t1ck135 the head behind the ear does need some attention in fact the whole back side of the head needs to be modeled i dont think i have touched it at all other broad general shape stuff

Attached Thumbnails

# 41 11-12-2006 , 03:21 AM
thats some nice modelling man keep it up.

# 42 21-12-2006 , 08:49 AM

just an update

having looked overJuliens tut. i want to go further so anyway this is an update of the latest tweeks right eye and some basic shap stuff

Attached Thumbnails