Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 22-02-2007 , 09:13 AM
Hi

When I went into the Bios to disable the hyper-threeading I foud a section all about the processor this is what it says

CPU 0:

Processor type = Intel (R) Xeon (TM) CPU 3.00GHz
Processor Clock Speed = 3.0GHz
Processor Bus Speed = 667 MHZ
Processor L2 Cache = 4 MB
Processor ID = 0F64
Multiple Core Capable = Yes (Dual)
Hyperthreading Capable = Yes (Dual)
64-bit Technology = Yes (Intel EM64T)

CPU 1

Processor type = Intel (R) Xeon (TM) CPU 3.00GHz
Processor Clock Speed = 3.0GHz
Processor Bus Speed = 667 MHZ
Processor L2 Cache = 4 MB
Processor ID = 0F64
Multiple Core Capable = Yes (Dual)
Hyperthreading Capable = Yes (Dual)
64-bit Technology = Yes (Intel EM64T)

Memory Info

Installed Memory = 2.0 GB
Memory Speed = 533 MHz
Memory Chanel Mode = Dual
Memory Technology = FB-DIMM DDR2 (ECC)

Memory Slot Size ECC Rank Type Organization

Riser 1 DIMM 1 1GB YES 2 FBD X8
Riser 2 DIMM 1 1GB YES 2 FBD X8

It was no quicker turning Hypre-threading off only thing that make a differance is to only have two cores on and tell it to use all processors.

Thanks
Trikeman

# 17 22-02-2007 , 09:23 AM
I think it might be a conflict between the 64 bit processors and Maya 7.0 (as its 32 bit, I think that 64 bit versions of maya only started on version 8, or it could have been 8.5) that could be why its running slowley.

I would see if the current maya PLE can be downloaded in 64 bit versions if so grab a copy and give it a go????

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 18 22-02-2007 , 10:01 AM
Hi

I will try that but from memory the older PLE only worked with one CPU ti give you another reason to up grad.

Thanks
Trikeman

# 19 22-02-2007 , 10:45 PM
gster123 > 'I think it might be a conflict between the 64 bit processors and Maya 7.0 (as its 32 bit, I think that 64 bit versions of maya only started on version 8, or it could have been 8.5) that could be why its running slowley.'

I'm not sure sbout wether 64 bit processors will run 32 bit code slower, but I think its unlikely. I do remember reading somewhere that Windows XP 64 bit and Vista 64 bit will run 32 bit programs in emulation mode so that could be the cause of slow downs.

gster123 > 'I would see if the current maya PLE can be downloaded in 64 bit versions if so grab a copy and give it a go????'

The last time I checked Maya PLE at Autodesk was about a week ago and they offered only 7.0... I don't think thats 64 bit...

trikeman > 'It was no quicker turning Hypre-threading off only thing that make a differance is to only have two cores on and tell it to use all processors.'

OK, so turning off Hyperthreading gave no improvement, so I guess we'll have to try something else...

Your Xeons are 64 bit so are you running a 64 bit version of XP? Like I said before, XP 64 bit emulates 32 bit programs so they run slower. A 64 bit processor doesn't nessacarily need a 64 bit OS so if you have an older version of Windows XP thats not 64 bit, try it by installting it on a second hard disk or partition and see wether it renders faster.

Anyways, I noticed the RAM you have ain't the same speed as your processor's bus. I don't know wether its the cause of the slow renders, but its a bit odd that the speeds don't match. Generally, its best to the RAM running at the same speed as the processor bus, that way your memory will be at its most effiecient and thus overall performance will be better.

# 20 23-02-2007 , 11:53 AM
Hi

Thankyou all, I have got the render going from a bat file now, In fact I have had my laptop running a render at full pelt for about 18 hours now is that doing the laptop any harm?

I did not know about the speed of the cpu and ram needing to be the same I will speak to Dell Monday morning.

Thanks to you all again, Please all remember keep modelling and having Fun

Trikeman

# 21 24-02-2007 , 02:02 AM
trikeman > 'I did not know about the speed of the cpu and ram needing to be the same I will speak to Dell Monday morning.'

Well they don't need to be the same, but like I said before, its better if they are the same speed as performance will be better.

trikeman > 'In fact I have had my laptop running a render at full pelt for about 18 hours now is that doing the laptop any harm?'

I have to say that is a bit risky as laptops overheat more easily but if your not getting any warnings that its overheating (most computers these days will warn you) and the case isn't too hot then it should be OK.

# 22 24-02-2007 , 04:33 AM
If its designed right there should be no problems, ive had my laptop rendering for days straight and its been fine.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 23 24-02-2007 , 07:26 AM
Hi

Thanks to all, my laptop is a Toshiba Satellite witn the new Duo 2 chip and 2 GB of ram, the fan on it cuts in and out and I did notice when it was rendeeing yesterday the fan was not cutting in anymore then usal.

It render 480 1440x1152 in about 25 hours so I was quite happy with thet.

I also did so rendering on the big machine and it did some slowly for about 5 hours and just blue screened and then even after letting it cool down it would only do about four frames and then blue screen. I seem to of fixed it by defraging, does this make sence to any one?

Trikeman